Ken Lay'd To Rest

It’s hard to feel good about anyone’s passing, although any sympathy generated here is reserved for the deceased’s family, what with him causing so much hardship for the many thousands of employees and investors that mistakenly put their trust in him and suffered grievously for it.

The 64 year old ex-Enron CEO, who along with Jeff Skilling was convicted in court earlier this year of gross financial impropriety (fraud and conspiracy) with the once high flying energy trading company, died in Aspen, Colorado earlier this morning of a massive coronary.

Jail probably would have been an especially difficult proposition for Mr. Lay, considering his years as a corporate tycoon, community leader and the lavish lifestyle to which he’d become accustomed. Depending on the severity of his sentence, which was due to be delivered September 11th this year, there’s a good chance the rest of his life would have been spent behind bars. Instead, he passed at a luxury Colorado resort surrounded by loved ones. Maybe this was for the best.

From what I understand, his death may have little bearing on the civil suits against his estate since his criminal trial testimony is there in the public record. Does anyone know if his sentence will still be handed down? Does the pending litigation require that it still be issued?

For those that were burned or suffered hardship because of this man, I hope his passing will allow them to help put the past to rest and experience whatever peace that may accompany it. Ken’s gone off to an even bigger judgement and I believe most can be quite satisfied that his moral culpability will be made clear and his punishment will be appropriate.

I wonder if it was actually suicide?

Yes, I’d imagine that notion crossed a lot of folks minds when they heard the news. It was my first thought as well and we may still hear tell but, as far as what’s being reported now, it was a heart attack around 1:00 am and pronounced dead at the Aspen hospital a little after 3:00.

As a resident of California, I feel rather cheated. He was supposed to face sentencing in September. I didn’t wish death on him, I wanted his sippery ass i jail, suffering.

I had the same reaction: “Yea!” followed immediately by “That wasn’t very nice.”

Gee Maureen, so many others had been hurt by he and a couple dozen of his unprincipaled cronies that I’d almost forgotton about those impacted by the price manipulations. You should feel cheated because you… ummm… were.

Didn’t Lay (or a member of his family) declare that God would overturn his conviction?

Moments after his conviction, Lay did say:

Although there well may be more.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I do feel bad for the Enron employees. They lost their livelihoods and their retirement all so this jerk and his buddies could have their extra millions and pay their lawyers to get them as lenient a sentence as possible. That shouldn’t happen to anyone. It’s just that, y’know, sometimes it’s hard to see the big picture when you’re being bent over and vigorously nailed up the bum without even a reach around.

Just as he did with the California energy deregulation legislation, Lay has found one whopper of a loophole.

Don’t feel too bad for his family either. After enjoying several hundred billion dollars in stock option revenues, which was Enron’s real reason for existing, they are claiming that they are broke in the face of civil suits. Lying dumb-asses, the whole bunch of them.

Whoa, man. Spoken like a true delusinal psychopath. I remember the exact same words, coming from the mouth of Paul Hill, just before he was executed for killing an abortion doctor. Amazing what people will justify in the name of G-D.

I’ve also opened a Pit Thread, in case anyone wants to say what they really feel. :wink:

An online correspondent of mine is crowing about Ken Lay’s death. Says it should be a cause for national celebration. This same person recently said he was “horrified” that many people expressed pleasure in the demise of Al-Zarqawi.

When do you suppose the first book “proving” he was murdered will hit the bookstores?

When my co-worker told me this at work, my immediate response was, “Well, at least he saved the tax payers some money by dying before he could be supported in jail for the rest of his life.” Still, it does seem somewhat unfortunate that he can’t be held responsible for all the ill-will that followed him as a result of his actions.

I could not help, when I heard the news, seeing a short segment out of his life:

Ken and the devil are sitting down like civilized gents in a smoky sports bar, planning the rifling of Enron over stogies and scotch. Ken says to the devil, “Are you sure there won’t be the devil to pay?” The devil looks him in the eye, widens his pupils (a trick he can do at will), and says, "Ken, on my honor as a fallen archangel, you will never go to jail for this.

“Trust me.”

My first thought was that he might have faked his own death to avoid the prison sentence. Of course that would require obtaining a corpse to replace his, but given his history, I wouldn’t be surprised if he did that.

I was reading some posts at whatever news site I read the story on, and I couldn’t believe the number of people shouting ‘Conspiracy!’ Seems there are quite a few people who think he did fake his death.

I’m not thinking that Ken Lay did fake his death, but, it brings up the question; in a case like this, is there a special protocol to assure that a convicted person has died? Not just the usual procedure of coroner, but an extra sign-off on that report by the judicial system. Just curious of how that works.

This is a great decade for conspiracy theories, far loonier than the 1970’s which dealt with shadowy cabals like the Bilderbergers, OPEC, and weird shit like Van Daniken and Hal Lindsey.

This decade, a conspiracy doesn’t even have to bother with tomes of words proving a multiplicity of connections - a single link between two entities is enough to “prove” something. (A perfect example is the “Skull and Bones” conspiracy, popular the autumn of 2004. This conspiracy noted that John Kerry and Dubya went to the same fraternity at Yale, therefore proving a secret cabal at the Skull and Bones Society set into motion a plan that was so fiendishly clever and diabolical, it had a drunken cokehead and a Vietnam vet fight it out for the Presidency in 2004. Talk about fighting for your right to party! With keggers for all, and malice towards none!

This simplicity makes things a lot more fun, if less weighty. I fully blame it on MTV and Gen-X.

Actually, it sounds as if he’s cheated the taxpayers one last time. I heard on the news tonight that since he had filed an appeal from his conviction, the criminal proceedings were not finally concluded. Since he’s no longer around to defend himself upon his death, the criminal proceedings are abated, and sentence will not be passed. That sentence would likely have included fines and restitution orders, in addition to jail.

So, no money coming into the federal treasury, nor to former employees who were victimised by his schemes.

Any of our American lawyer Dopers able to comment on this?