Related to the Cornell rape scandal. How is Ketamine typically administered? Must it be snorted, or can it be slipped into somebody’s drink? I honestly know that little about Ketamine.
At my vet’s it is injected IV.
I suppose you could go IM, epidural, nasal, rectal, swallow it, etc., but the same dose would be less effective depending on the method of administration. (I.e., you would need a higher dose if taking it orally).
Interestingly, an IM bolus seems to have the highest peak:
You could “slip it into somebody’s drink”, but then it would have a super nasty, bitter, medicinal taste.
I thought the episode of the CBC podcast On Drugs about ketamine was fascinating.
When it is used recreationally it is typically a powder that is snorted. There is also a liquid version this isn’t uncommon that is dropped on the tongue or could be put into a drink.
In the viral comic illustrating the effects of different drugs via images from “Calvin and Hobbes,” ketamine is Spaceman Spiff blasting off into “a world where time has no meaning!”
I forget what the dose was, but I tried ketamine (on medical advice) for intractable headaches. It was a liquid with an atomizer, yielding a spray I had to snort once in each nostril, then keep sniffing to prevent its running out my nose (so charming!) Eventually it did drip down the back of my throat and was the bitterest, most foul tasting stuff ever !
BTW, it didn’t do much for the headache, just gave me troubled sleep and weird dreams.
Chiral ketamine is esketamine and comes in inhaler form. Brand may be Spravato. I don’t know if this would be prescribed for headaches but it’s used for depression. Dose is 56 or 84 mg, so sprays about half of each per nostril.
For me that is a blank chart (403 forbidden when I click on it).
Thanks, just downloaded it!
It’s a very useful anesthetic. Remember the Thai soccer boys cave rescue:
The recreational uses are a side-effect.
As someone who was prescribed ketamine by doctors before, it has an extremely unpleasant taste. And it would make me “spin” mentally in circles as I was lying in bed, with a sensation like I was being spun in some washing machine, to the point that I had to clutch the blankets hard to make sure I was still alive in “this life” or conscious. One time I took it, lay in bed, then woke up to find myself sitting on the floor with my back to the wall, not sure when or how I’d gotten out of bed.
Ketamine is an excellent amnesic and general anesthetic adjunct. It’s especially useful in children for conscious sedation.
It’s certainly better than its predecessor, PCP!