Keys that read "Do not duplicate"

I need to make a copy of this key that I have… but it says “Do not duplicate” on it.

I’m afraid that if I take it to be made a copy of, the guy will shower me with insults about how it’s illegal.

Will that happen? Will locksmiths make duplicates of this key for me? If no, what if I slip him a $20 bill?

My local locksmith told me that it’s a $1,000 fine if he is caught making a copy of a key stamped “Do Not Duplicate.”

Then he made me two copies, and I tipped him a fiver.

Trinopus

You could make on that isn’t an exact copy, that way it’s not a duplication.

You could for example get rid of the “do not duplicate” text.

“Do Not Duplicate” is usually to preven unauthorized duplicate key being available to unauthorized person.

Some locksmiths will refuse to copy them while others such as kiosks in mall, big box warehouse store, pay no attention and copy them anyway.

There are unusual keyway key blanks which are only availabe to locksmiths authorized to install the locks and make the keys.

Try to get a copy if is is not for your place of work or apt. bldg. If you have a legitimate need for a key they will have one made for you.

“Beware of the Cog”

It comes down to a question of ownership.

At my last full-time permanent job, each employee was issued a key to the building. Tom, the employee whose job included “building superintendent” duties, was the custodian who issued these keys. The corporation for which we worked owned the building and the keys. The keys were, of course, stamped with “Do Not Duplicate.”

Tom could and did have duplicates made, with the stamp etched in, as agent for the corporation with the right to have such keys made. We employees could not.

The building owner has title to the keys. They are issued to the employees as a part of the employment agreement. Each has the right to one key by which he can access the building. He does not have ownership of the key; he merely has custody of it. His rights are those to use it to get into the building in order to work, including on non-business-hours periods when he wishes to do some work. But they do not include making a duplicate of the key. He is responsible for turning in the key when departing employment.

A locksmith will be the only way to make a duplicate. I have been cutting keys for over 6 years at Ace Hardware and i notice that DND keys either have reversed grooves from their brother keys, extra grooves, longer shanks, or reduced shoulders. The keys that Ilco or Hillman supply to vendors are just standard keys. If not a locksmith then you’d have to contact the manufacturer and have them send you duplicates after you read the serial number off the key (if available) or the lock it opens.

You could also put a rubber cover over the head of the key,or assuming its an odd or large shape dip the head of the key in liquid latex to simulate a cover.

Thats assuming that the employee at wal-mart or home depot will even care,i doubt they would.

Are you authorized to make a copy of this key, DirtyKash? If so, then you should be able to ask the person who issued it how to go about getting a copy. If you’re not authorized, then you shouldn’t be attempting to get a copy, as such is likely either illegal, a violation of your agreement with the person who gave you the key, or both.

–Cliffy

I was told that I would be able to copy my keys for my rehersal space because the copyright on the ‘do not duplicate’ on these keys had expired. I took them to any ol’ locksmith, relayed that to him, and he copied them. Not sure if he just didn’t care…

While there may be conditions attached when you recieved the key (for which YOU may be liable), the “Do not Reproduce” caption has no legal weight in any US state I know of (check your state’s laws to be sure), but locksmiths aren’t slaves, and can decline to undertake any job they wish. Ask, and ye shall be answered.

Duplicating a “Do Not Duplicate” key issued by U. S. Gov’t agencies would be asking for accomodations as a guest of the Federal Gov’t.

These are special key blanks, and many require a special cutting machine.

“Beware of the Cog”

My old psycho landlord gave me one key. There were two people living at the apartment. She wanted to charge me twenty dollars to get a copy. The little vinyl cover cost 25 cents, and since I had so many keys, I bought several, so I could pick out the right key for the right door quickly. The guy at the hardware store didn’t take the vinyl thing off to copy it.

I made 4 copies.

Once I had such a key and I put a bit of masking tape across it and printed the words “tool shed” on the masking tape. And the guy made a copy without removing my tape. Make sure to add some wear and a little dirt.

i work at a hardware store and have turned down MANY a customer based on this stamping. But as so many here have made clear, it is VERY easy to disguise the key. I have seen past the vinyl cap trick, just because it covered the “hip” of the key, making it hard for me to line up in the machine, i had to take it off, and they played it off pretty well… but i don’t take peoples tape off. So easy to overcome, i can’t believe you’d ask… but hey, i work at a hardware store… what’s everyday to me amazes others. I have also had a manager wink at someone, and say “since you’re one of our… favorite customers, we’ll do it anyways” when she persisted about it and insisted it was a key to her mosque.

If it’s a security keyblank, you may have trouble.

A friend of mine HAD to get a duplicate key made once. He did something risky: He chopped the DND HEAD off a key and had TWO duplicates made.

Then he bought a DND tool steel stamp on the web and re-stamped 'em.

Cost a bit

The most common “do not duplicate” is going to be found on a Best keyblank. Originally they were a controled keyway and keyblanks were restricted. After the patent expired, Best Interchangable core Locks became quite popular. Best still produces the blanks and has never changed the molds (to my knowledge). Either way, they can be duplicated. Many people, have “do not duplicate” stamped on a standard keyway. This is nice but completely useless. the brass can be filed, painted over, covered and such.
There are some keys out there that are restricted. It is not the words that stop people from duplicating most of them. It is the lack of access to the keyblanks or proper machinery to duplicate. Those with the keyblanks control whom they duplicate or genterate keys for. (such as Medeco)

The USPS has a keyblank they use which is not avalible to most locksmiths. (there is a cross reference blank from a company that went out of buisness in the 20’s that will work) There is so I hear a nice fine for duplicating those.

blah. all that and I did not really add anything that has not been said. sigh

Osip

Here’s something to add. This was a little fake byline on The Onion.com which I found particularly amusing:

**Locksmith Brings Along Boombox To Play Mission: Impossible Theme **

:smiley:

Not everyone who wants to duplicate a DND key is doing it for the wrong reasons. We have run out of keys and the locksmith that keyed our building wants $7 for the 1st key, $3.50 each for additional keys and $9 shipping. Two extra keys will cost me about $20. I was hoping to find a better price and I AM authorized to handle this on behalf of my employer, but I am probably stuck paying $10/key. There should be some way to legitimately get a copy made without having to go back to the locksmith who keyed the building.

I think DirtyKash has gotten into the building by now. It’s been 11 years.

He’s probably just getting out of prison for duplicating that key!