Kids in bars to eat

Thank you, I’ve checked out several of the spots you mentioned. I’m hoping we break up most days to eat. Not all will do seafood or southern or Chinese or French at the same time. I just don’t want half the meals at McDonalds or Subway. In discussion I’ve picked up a current of paranoia about certain places. Pretty good bet any establishment with a Bourbon Street address is right out. I’m dealing with rural Midwestern devout Christians bringing their children to the big city for the first time. Almost all have been to Chicago for overnighters or a short family stay. Most of the younger ones have not ventured farther than that. About 2/3 including 2 of the adults have never flown. I last flew 20 years ago.

I’d say you are in a bit of a pickle. I agree 100% that you don’t want to go to NO and eat Subway and McD’s, or Applebees and Olive Grove, for that matter. I agree that you will probably have to split up into smaller groups most of the time, probably based on how adventurous people are. Getting 20 adults to agree to eat seafood or cajun or creole is difficult enough, let alone teenagers and adults.

It’s been too long since I’ve been to NO to offer specific advice, but make sure to go at least once to eat a muffuletta sandwich. You can tell people it’s kind of like an Italian sub but with olives and different dressing. You also need to try crawdads while you are there. Oysters and shrimp, too, of course. Leaving NO without eating the local foods would be crazy.

Oy. That sounds like a chore. We would walk down Bourbon during the day, but it is risque’. Bars, strip clubs, and lots of stores selling adult t-shirts/novelties/etc. Oh yes, and drunk people. You’re not missing anything. Keep in mind that if you’re in the Quarter, you’ll always be within 3 block of Bourbon.

It’s been a while since I’ve been, but Mulate’s was a fun place. Okay Cajun inspired food with live music and family friendly. Very touristy, but, you’re a tourist.

Central Grocery is the popular place for muffalettas, but many places have them.

Some notes - If you’re going in the summer, it will be jungle hot, but less crowded. If someone comes up and says they can tell you where you got your shoes, just ignore them. In fact, if anyone comes up to tell you anything, just ignore them.

Yes indeed! Great places, not too expensive. I’d also recommend “The old Coffeepot” on St. Peter for breakfast/brunch some morning.

Mother’s… good, but not at all worth waiting in line for, if it comes to that.

One thing… make SURE you go to the Clover Grill. It’s further down Bourbon Street, past the sketchy bars. Great hamburgers!

Man. I really misinterpreted that thread title.

Let me reccommend this place for breakfast/brunch. (There is another location on Magazine street.)

Good food. I remember it being pretty reasonable (and if a chaperone NEEDS a mimosa, they do serve alcohol). (We stayed at I think it was the St. Charles the last time we went and it was in walking distance even for someone as fat and lazy as I am!)

I became addicted to the croque madame, but all of the food that I tried there was great.

The Clover Grill is fun, but the OP should know that it is in the gay oriented section of Bourbon. I’m only pointing that out because he said some parents had a paranoia about some places and that he was dealing with rural Midwestern devout Christians bringing their children to the big city for the first time.

That said, there’s no real reason not to take kids there during the day. Just walk down Royal and cut over on Dumaine. Check out Google street view if you’re worried. You can even go inside a lot of places with streetview.

If you want a nostalgic burger place, take the St Charles street car uptown to Carrollton (Riverbend). Right when the car turns will be the Camellia Grill. Good burgers and such, plus you get to see a lot of New Orleans on the way. It’s about a 45 minute ride that goes through the Garden District, past the Audubon Park/zoo, and Tulane.

WTF do you go to New Orleans for, if not to see some strange and weird stuff, engage in a bit of debauchery, and eat good food/drink good drinks?

There are plenty of safer, cleaner, less sketchy tourist places in the US to go to, if that stuff is not your sort of thing.

People go there for whatever reason they want, that’s WTF. Culture, scenery, music, art, conventions, history, conferences, work. They can go there for the mountains for all I care.

Deanie’s is near Felix’s is pretty good as well.

I don’t recommend Mother’s personally, I thought their shrimp po-boy was meh and the service was horrible.

If you want to go someplace nice, Borne was quite good, Dragos is good. I had the barbeque shrimp po boy both places and they were awesome and quite different. Both would be walking but somewhat long walks.

Riding the streetcar to the French market gives you quite a few places to eat there with lots of character. My favorite Coops, is 21 and older .