Kids' strangest favorite songs

Sounds like fun! Also, it reminds me how my brother and I used to sing and act out Bob Dylan’s “Hurricane”. Of course, we were cough older then.

Picture a blonde pixie looking 5 year old singing:
“Pissing the night away…
pissing the night away…
He drinks a whisky drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a cider drink
He sings the songs that remind him
Of the good times
He sings the songs that remind him
Of the better times…”

(“Tubthumping” by Chumbawumba)

Or another favorite was
“I’m not the one who’s so far away,
When I feel the snakebite enter my brain”

“Voodoo” by Godsmack. She’d try to do it in the deep voice like Sully - too cute.

She still loves singing “Barbie Girl” - but when she was 6 and talking about “You can brush my hair, Undress me Everywhere”, well, she was asked to quit singing it in school.

I used to sing John Lee Hooker’s Boom, boom, boom, boom to my little girls when she was an infant, when we were in the card or when I was changing her diaper or whatever. She loved it. “Boom” was one of the first words she learned to say.

RR

As a child I lived for a few years at Fort Bragg, NC, where the Fourth of July was celebrated in typical Army style. That, for the uninitiated, translates to a great deal of spectacle and a lot of very loud noise. The 50-gun Salute to the Nation, parading the colors, precision marching, the whole works. In the evening, the Army Band always played a concert of patriotic music, traditionally concluding with the 1812 Overture. The artillery pieces were stationed at the far end of the parade grounds so as not to deafen the audience, but near enough to make a big impression.

Needless to say, my friends and I **loved **the 1812 Overture.

My daughter is 8. She’s loved “What’s Up” by four Non Blondes since before she could talk.

When I was little, I LOVED “Elvira” by the Oak Ridge Boys. I named my dad’s car after it.

No kids myself, but my best friend’s 5 year old daughter currently enjoys singing “I Kissed a Girl.”

I had probably no idea of the melodramatic meaning of “Sweet Dreams (are made of these)” and “Total Eclipse of the Heart” but they were favs in fourth grade. Also when I was much younger I used to sing “You Light Up My Life” to my mom, probably not realizing it’s a romantic song.

One of my girls, when two, absolutely loved “Little Red Corvette”. She’d start dancing whenever she heard it. Dating myself–when I was little I loved “The Twist”!! I wanted to grow up and have a ponytail. :cool:

Actually, I’m pretty sure this song is about Jesus. I’m a Christian, but this song makes me feel kinda like I need a long shower.

That’s OK. Debby Boone didn’t interpret it romantically either.

We had to sing that in *music class *when I was in about seventh grade. We were so very embarrassed. :o

When I was a tot I was taught The Sheik of Araby.

When my friend’s son was two, he liked to sing James Brown’s “Sex Machine” while he was getting his bath. One day Grandma was visiting and gave him a bath and he started into shrieking " Get on up, Get on the scene, Like a Sex Machine". We thought Grandma was going to faint dead away!

Akiratoddler’s(24 months) favorite song,Meaning she will dance uncontrollably is Herbie Hancock’s “Rockit”. She first heard it on some television commercial

That’s awesome.

The only song I remember really loving when I was very young was Greensleaves. I remember desperately searching through allll of my dad’s 45s and LPs for anything that would have that song, but coming up empty.

George M. Cohan: “Mary”, “Yankee Doodle Dandy”, “Harrigan”

The soundtrack to Once More with Feeling, the Buffy episode.

The Beatles “Tomorrow Never Knows” (“Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream…”)

Fleetwood Mac “Tusk” (“Don’t tell me that you love me!”)

I don’t think they’re strange as they’re all songs that I like. But the one thing that gets me, that I never EVER expected any child of MINE to sing…

God rock.

I’m so ashamed.

Growing up country music tended to be far more edgy lyrically than today, with plenty of references to drinking, crime, one night stands, and adultery. Since country music was the only English language music I was exposed to as a kid in the early 80’s, I ended up absorbing a lot of music that today would be considered inappropriate. I remember the song “War Is Hell On The Homefront Too” which was about an underage kid being seduced by a woman while her husband was overseas! Funny thing adults (including my mom) didn’t seem to notice.

In particular, the line “it can’t be wrong, when it feels so right” sounds really dirty to me now. :cool: