Kinsey Milhone/Brit Montero question

OK, if you checked into this thread you probably know one or both of these fictional private eyes. I enjoy both Sue Grafton’s and Edna Buchanan’s creations (Milhone and Montero respectively), but the last novel by each has taken me aback a bit.

Both have the young (30ish) female detectives paired with 60ish male expolicemen buddies who have been retired from the force due to a heart problem. And in both the detectives are resenting their leaving their old jobs and are smoking and drinking too much (I won’t say more, because I don’t want to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t read the novels, but there are a few more similarities).

Anyway, what’s the deal? There seems to be too much similarity for a mere coincidence, but I suppose it is possible. Does any one know anything?

I probably should mention the two novels I’m talking about are Murder in Miami by Buchanan and Q is for Quary by Grafton.

I’ve only read the first chapter of Q is for Quarry (online), but Grafton has been pairing Kinsey up with older men for a while now. I’m not really sure why, though. As to whether there’s a connection between the two authors, I’ve never read any of Buchanan’s works, so I can’t say.

Is Kinsey really smoking?

Smoking? She’s sizzling! mmmm Kinsey…

I have Q on my Amazon Wish List. If no one gets it for me for Xmas, I’ll get it myself…

Not sure about the similarities, though. I don’t recall thinking there was anything odd about her behavior in the last few books I’ve read. …

I read Q, and no, Kinsey doesn’t smoke at all. It’s the older detective - in Kinsey’s case, Con Dolan who smokes too much for his state of ill health.