Klansman injured in initiation ceremony

Reminds me of the South Park episode where they showed a KKK meeting with a cake raffle and “Whose got the strangest thing on under your robe” contest.

Did anybody else immediately think of “The Mexican” with Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts?

Did anybody else even see “The Mexican” with Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts?

Laugh it up: Not only are Klansmen morons, they’re violent. I think it’s indicative of how far we’ve progressed that the ones most in danger from Klansmen’s arms are the Klansmen themselves, not minorities.

BTW, I can’t help modifying a Simpsons reference:
[Bart]
Can’t laugh. Clown’ll get me.
Can’t laugh. Clown’ll get me.
[/Bart]

The Man With The Golden Gun: “Hot shower! Hot shower!”

:smiley:

Eugene Volokh, citing this story, observed “There are tragic accidents, and there are not-so-tragic accidents”.

These clan rallies are usually just 12 dudes in the middle of nowhere, right?

What are the odds that the bullet would even land within a mile of where it was shot? I can see someone getting hit in an urban area when large amounts of bullets are getting shot in the air. But, this strikes me as being statistically impossible. I’m thinking it’s more likely that someone was “horsing around” and just shot the dude in the head. They made up this story to cover it up.

Sounds like the only thing that ceremony needed was more bullets.

Anyone else surprised at the apparent lack of skull density?

When I read this on CNN, I laughed out loud. Usually I don’t have a lot of schadenfreude, but bad things happening to the Klan is okay by me.

If we can get them to keep shooting one another, it would be really convenient, wouldn’t it?

What is the estimated return velocity and impact force of a 38 or 44 caliber bullet fired into the air and tumbling back down.

It should come down at the same speed it was fired, minus a little from wind resistance.

As long as it is high enough to kill a KKK member, who cares?

Just in case, not wishing death or anyone or anything. Just a believer in bad things ought to happen to bad people :wink:

You probably ought to ignore my inability to type coherrently and replace the first “or” with an “on”

Good Ol’ Rocky Top …

Wind resistance is pretty significant if it’s fired more or less straight up. Most small to medium caliber bullets will have a terminal velocity of several hundred mph; not nearly as dangerous as those coming at you level, but still able to kill as has been documented numerous times. Consider that ‘shooting in the air’ often isn’t straight up, either. See here for a little more information.

I’m from the area (about an hour from Johnson City, go there all the time cause the Tri Cities is the only place around here to get any shopping or fun in). I can’t say that I’m terribly surprised by the incident. The so called Klan members in this area aren’t exactly the brightest bunch.

Remind me to stay the hell away from any place where the Klan is made up of the brightest bunch in that area.

Umm… no.

Terminal velocity for falling bullets (assuming straight down) is in the range of 160-250 fps (107 mph - 170 mph). That’s slower than a paintball. It can still kill; however the bullet wil have significantly reduced penetration (just a few inches).[sup]1[/sup]

A .38 Cal 158 gr LRN bullet fired at 950 fps wil have a return velocity of 180-240 fps.[sup]1[/sup]

A .44 mag 240 gr. JHP bullet fired at 1140 fps has a return velocity of 249 fps (base first).[sup]1[/sup]

–Patch

[sup]1[/sup] Haag, Lucien, “Falling Bullets: Terminal Velocities and Penetration Studies,” Presented at the International Wound Ballistics Workshop, Sacramento, CA, 1994.

I’ve had a bad day, been incredibly stressed out, and I can’t bring myself to do the work that I should. I opened this thread and proceeded to laugh until my stomach hurt, I thank you :slight_smile:

Is anyone else kinda saddened that there were two children at the ceremony? Not that it surprises me, but still… :frowning: :mad: