Klinsmann steps down as Germany coach

Since there was some speculation about Klinsmann as a new coach for the U.S. team in a recent World Cup thread, I thought I would pass this along.

Klinsmann steps down as Germany coach

Color me surprised. I poo-pooed on the idea a bit in the other thread, but this seems to really open up the door for the USSF. I’m still not sure he’s the best man for the job, but I do get a bit of a thrill thinking about it.

One tiny bump for the daytime U.S. crowd.

Even if he’s not the perfect candidate, I think that he would bring a dose of celebrity and excitement that would be great for the team. He also seem’s wonderfully attacking in his style (although, maybe we don’t have the talent to play that way).

In any case, I’d love to see them make a change on the US Team. Bruce Arena has done a wonderful job, and my hat is off to him, but I think it is time for a shake up of sorts. If it were to be Kilnsmann, that would be awesome!

I’ve been hearing Klinsmann would be Arena’s successor since before the Cup. So I’d be more surprised if he didn’t end up with the US job. I’d like to see it happen.

He of course said that he isn’t interested in the US job, but then again Larry Brown said the exact same thing about the Knicks job.

When he stepped down, he was asked about the possibility of coaching the US team. He said (before he was asked that question) that he was tired of the crazy life of international superstar coach and wanted to settle down and live easy with his wife and kid(s). When asked about coaching the 'Merkins, he said he had no interest and he hadn’t been contacted by USSF. (Or, what Ellis Dee said. I believe you, although I don’t follow the NBA.)

I, like Ellis Dee, still think there’s a possibility it’s all words. I hope so, anyway.

The N.Y. Times now reports Bruce Arena has been dismissed by the U.S. Soccer Federation.

Link?

Arena out as U.S. national coach at end of year

I, for one, am relieved. If the next guy plays a 4-5-1 I’ll probably go on a mad rampage and destroy Tokyo.

FWIW, kudos to everyone involved (Gulati, Arena, the players, etc.) for being professional about the whole thing, unlike Arena during the WC.