Knitting vs. Hot Flashes

I’m leaning toward knitting once again, but I take Arimidex for breast cancer, and I get major hot flashes.

How do you manage your knitting jones with hot flashes? The type of yarn? The openness of the pattern? What type of yarn/needles/equipment is best to use while exceedingly warm? Or worse, hot and cold, alternating.

I’ve done color-knitting, a la Kaffe Fasset in the past, but now I’m leaning toward some simpler, regular, open pattern blanket.

What do you call stitches, when put together, form a pattern? I look for those online, but only get formal knitting patterns for specific items. You know what I mean? Stitches, when put together form a pleasing pattern over a large area. Can you recommend a resource for that? In chemo I saw a woman using beautiful yarns with large needles knitting a “throw” in alternating squares of stitches.

Help, must use hands.

Regarding patterns, I think what you’re looking for are books/dictionaries of stitch patterns. I was reading a thread elsewhere about this recently, and recommendations included Barbara Walker’s Treasuries and the Vogue Stitchionaries.

Ravelry is a wonderful timewast…resource for any pattern and whatnot. I am oonagh over there.
I’ve only had hot flashes when I was on a steroid ( not fun) but I wasn’t knitting yet. Yet. They didn’t last long, so I would think that whatever yarn appealed to me I would use.

I think you should treat yourself to something really nice to knit , even if you are not knitting for yourself or if you are, you deserve a treat!
Good health and positive vibes to you, my knitting friend.
Everyone should knit.

What about knitting squares of different patterns that when you have enough can be sewn together to make a blanket?

That way the project will be portable, not so overwhelming and kept fresh with a new one to try with each new square. Bonus is your lap isn’t covered by a mound of woolliness when you are heating up.

Socks! There’s a million different patterns and construction techniques, they’re small and portable, they can be as simple or as fancy as you choose, sock yarn comes in everything from alpaca to superwash wool to cotton to bamboo, and once you finish them they’re heavenly to wear.

Tip: If you want a smaller project, and you’re the type who hates sewing seams together after you’re done knitting, sew strips rather than squares. Cuts down on how much seaming you have to do at the end. :smiley:

You could knit some boobs.

You could knit a brain.

Yes! I recommend the Barbara Walker Learn to Knit Afghan book. What you’re really doing is swatching 64 stitch pattern squares and, despite the name, they’re not overly simple.

Agreed. I always, always have sock going. I am of an age where my knitting can make me pretty hot too, but socks are way to small to be a problem AND they’re truly useful when finished.

Wow, what a wonderfully creative bunch you are! I will take all your suggestions!

That knitted brain and all it’s wool is smarter than me.

Socks sound very tempting. Can anyone suggest a good resource?

Interweave’s Favorite Socks has some lovely patterns.

I bought this book, which has clear instructions and lots of pix. Currently finishing a basic top-down pair, but they also have basic toe-up instructions. After the intro and overview, which puts you in a place where you actually understand why you’re doing what you’re doing, there are patterns for cabled socks, lace socks, baby booties, etc.

Those look fun! Thanks!

With hot flashes? Asbestos.

Looking through photos of sock patterns, it occurs to me that hand-knit socks are too special to be worn under shoes. They look so luxurious that they should be saved for settling in with a good book.

This reminded me that when I had chemo they suggested bringing warm socks. You recline for 3-4 hours with refrigerated infusions and you get really cold. My mother gave me some beautiful brightly-colored hand knit socks she brought back from a recent trip to New England, and I saved them for my chemo sessions. They made me feel good.

Some people don’t have family members to keep them company during chemo, or to make them feel cozy. I like the idea of donating beautiful soft, warm hand-knitted socks to give to chemo patients as a gift at their first session.