Kurt Vonnegut on current events. And so on.

Kurt Vonnegut continues to rock

Well, that was…just about incoherent.
I hope I don’t ramble on senselessly like that when I’m his age.

That seemed pretty incoherant to me as well. There are also a couple of factual errors that I caught too - Vonnegut claims the Chinese(shortly after inventing it) only used gunpowder for fireworks. In fact, they used it for military rockets as well. He also claims that Arabs invented the number system we currenlty use; of course, our currrent system was originally invented by the Indians.

So you haven’t actually read any of his stuff?

Context does help.

I’d guess at his age you’ll still be rambling on in your own unique way and I’ll be rambling on in mine. Busy busy busy.

Hey- you or I ramble like that- it’s senseless & incoherent. He rambles like that & it’s classic Vonnegut! G

I just wish he’d illustrated it!

Sounds like classic Vonnegut to me. We’re talking about a guy who wrote entire novels in baby talk.

And still managed to get his point across.

Say what you want, but he’s one of our most beloved ramblers.

Listen.

He is writing to an audience that aren’t the brightest bulbs on the planet. People who think the liberals run the media, that “French Fries” aren’t patriotic, that we were going to be in-and-out of Iraq in 3 months, 6 tops.

That is, he has to dumb it down. Small bite size pieces to think about.

It’s not rambling. People who consider articles in “People” to be lengthy can’t handle extended prose.

The sad part is, the real s**t hasn’t even hit the fan yet. Wait until the media finally starts to investigate the “private security forces”* in Iraq and elsewhere. Nicholas Berg’s family is already starting to smell a rat in regard to those “people.” It would bring down the government, if the media decides to tell you about it.

• US paid mercenaries.

I love that old man, which is not to say I agree with everything he says, but I will agree that if you haven’t read his novels (which are brilliant but written in a deceptively simplistic style [in Breakfast of Champions he gives the penis girth and length of every male character and in his last novel, Timequake, he rambles autobiographically far more than he mentions his plot, but both work and both are, imo, fantastic).

I thought he was going to mention the PoWs since he was a PoW himself (and ironically received better treatment by the Nazis than the Iraqi prisoners have received from Americans). “So it goes.”

You can still glean more wisdom and humanity from this old man’s ramblings than from just about any other “deep thinker” on the face of the planet. His death will be a huge blow to the country’s soul.

And do you know why I think (Bush) is so pissed off at Arabs? They invented algebra.

HAhahahaha :smiley:

Just 'cause I’m lazy and don’t want to research it myself:

• What is the political bent of “In These Times?”

That was refreshing. I’m going to miss the old man.

Good for him. He was one of the lucky ones. :rolleyes:

Alarm clock is ringing!

I think my father, who was a POW in WWII, would probably laugh in your face if you said that to him. He had a gun put to his head and was told he was going to be executed three separate times, he slept in an unheated building in the middle of winter and was fed basically garbage that gave him dissentary the whole time he was in camp and almost killed him.

I’m going out on a limb here, but I thought that the Indians invented the concept of zero, while it was the Arabs who came up with assigning the digits weighted values according to their position relative to a decimal point. (Did that sentence make sense?)

Of course, the zero is kinda essential in this, so that would make it a joint effort. Wouldn’t heap too much scorn on Vonnegut over it though :). Feel free to ridicule my puny mind if I’m wrong.

I’m not saying that ALL PoWs received humane treatment- paratroopers were usually killed where they landed, for instance, and those who may have info on D-Day were tortured- but Vonnegut, by his own admission, received decent treatment. He was sent to work in a plant making nutrient rich drinks for pregnant women and housed in an unheated meat cellar (Schlachthof Funf, immortalized as Slaughterhouse Five) but fed decently, and ironically because the meat cellar was a natural bomb shelter survived the bombing of Dresden while 100,000 Germans died. He himself admits he was lucky on several levels (though being a private with no real expertise helped).

Thank you for pointing that out. It was beautiful.

Thanks to the OP for the link.

Yes, Vonnegut doesn’t have all his facts straight, as Random Letters pointed out.

Yes, Vonnegut does ramble. But he’s damn good at it.

I don’t agree with everything he says, but he makes some good points that are worth thinking about.

Yes, Vonnegut does continue to rock.