kwanzaa?

Reading another archived column (yeah i have too much time on my hands). I found a concern with your treatment of the timing of kwanzaa. You poked doubt as to the timing having anything to do with the harvest as its originators claimed, but more with a opposition to x-mas. While there may be something to this x-mas humbug, I would take issue with you saying the harvest is a bit late for it to be a real explanation. Last time i checked a significant portion of Africa is in the southern hemisphere where the growing seasons are reversed. and even while i lack in any farming experience and have never been to the dark continent I imagine this timing could be concurrent with the first harvest. Not to mention, i wonder how the growing seasons work in tropical regions where seasonal changes are much less traumatic for plant life.

The facts expressed here belong to everybody, the opinions to me. The distinction is
yours to draw…

Omniscient; BAG

An October harvest that has been reversed on the calendar becomes an April harvest, not a December harvest.

You may have a better chance of pushing for a December harvest in the Tropics, but it would be nice if you provided the evidence.

Tom