Ladies did you get a hope chest before leaving your parents home?

I recently helped my mom move her hope chest from the basement. She still has her wedding dress in it. some linens, pictures etc. She even still remembers the store where her dad bought it. It’s still a nice cedar chest. I was surprised at how much it still meant to her.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_chest
I see they still sell them.

Did you get one as a teenager? Did you get linens, towels, and other household stuff for it? How did you use your hope chest?

I guess in modern times single women still need household items for their first apartment. Even if the husband comes years later. :smiley:

Are hope chests still a big part of teen girls lives? How about people in other countries. Do you still have Glory Boxes, Dowry Chests or whatever they are called?

My mom has hers in her bedroom still–I think she keeps some old mementoes in it (high school photos and diploma, this and that) but mostly sweaters, since it is a cedar chest.

I got one when I was a teenager, but I will freely admit that my family is quite old-fashioned. Though I’ve since moved out, I probably won’t take it with me until I’m married. Mostly now it has the same sort of things in it–high school diploma, my baptismal gown and candle–and other valuables, like the quilt my mom made for me when I graduated high school. Mine is a lovely vintage cedar chest.

So yes. But I am probably quite unusual in that regard.

I did not get one, although my parents did give my sister one when she went to college, and she still has it. She’s only a year older than me, so I’m not sure why she got one and I didn’t. They were usually pretty good about giving me what she wanted. For example, when she wanted roller skates, we both got a pair, etc.

On reflection, I’m not sure which of us felt worse: me, because I always got what my sister wanted, not what I wanted; or my sister, who always got what she wanted but had to basically share it with me.

There were actually two cedar chests at my parents’ house; as I approached high school graduation, they were filled with little things I would need for living on my own - sheets, towels, dinnerware, etc. The older (and more plain-looking) of the two was referred to as a hope chest.

Anyone else parse this as “getting a huge chest”?

My grandpa made me a hope chest but it was never filled with items I would need in my independant life (I tend to keep extra bedding in there or sweaters).

So, my parents called it my ‘no-hope’ chest.

I never left my parents’ home. I inherited it.
But I also inherited a cedar-lined chest they picked up at a yard sale.

I have one, yes.
I got it when I was about 11, which seems pretty young to have it…it has most of my Lion King collection inside it :o

Well, I loved it at that age and still do, so what can I say? :smiley:
I might fill it with more practical stuff when I move out…who knows.

No. I kept hoping my chest might fill out to a C-cup but, alas, I never got past A.

:frowning:

(Grew up in the 80s. I’d heard of them, but it didn’t seem very important to anyone around me, so there was no such thing as amassing a bunch of adult stuff as a teen for my future adult life. My older sister got my mom’s hand-me-downs and I had to use student loan money to buy linens, towels, dishes, utensils, and a couple cooking vessels.)

I am still not married. I think I’m going to tell my parents it’s because I didn’t have a hope chest, so how could I have possibly had any hope of getting married? That oughta go over well. :wink:

My wife had one when we got married; she was almost 30 at the time. It had some linens and quite a bit of lingerie she had collected over the years for her wedding night/honeymoon. I need to remind her to let those things out of there once in a while.

I had one when I moved out of my parents house, once I realized there was no way in hell I wanted to drag that thing around from place to place I ditched it.

I kind of vaguely have heard about this, mostly from Little Women. No, I did not get one, and it’s not part of our culture. What we traditionally get from our parents is mostly gold and maybe a copy of the Ramanaya (“Be just like Sita, darling, sacrifice for your love”). But to be honest I might have gotten that from movies since there weren’t many daughters in my generation and I got almost nothing.

What’s supposed to be in a hope chest?

I didn’t have one. My sister didn’t have one. My mother didn’t have one. My grandmother didn’t have one.

It’s tradition.

Traditionally a hope chest is filled with things a woman will need to start up housekeeping–bedlinens, table linens, kitchen items, things like that for her home. Traditionally-traditionally, these are things the woman would have made herself.

Nope. I had to buy all that shit for myself when I was 18.

No, though my parents bought a lot of the furnishings for my first apartments. The rest I’ve been slowly buying myself.

I didn’t have an actual chest (a hope chest isn’t very British) but I collected things like bedding and general housey stuff before I moved out into my own place. My mother always referred to it as a ‘bottom drawer’. I would have liked a chest, it sounds nice and quaint.

Now I have a bottom drawer for baby things various members of my family have knitted or handed down in the hope of us providing grandchildren.

My Dad made me a lovely cedar chest that I call my hope chest. I think I did put my graduation gifts in it. Well the ones that I would want to go with me to College. It is currently in my living room holding my Wii games, extra cables and other random bits.

I’m familiar with the concept from books I read as a kid, but I didn’t know anyone still did the hope chest thing. (Obviously, I didn’t get one.)

I was visited by a salesman trying to get me to buy a hope chest and fill it with china and silver and other crap like that. My free gift was a mini cedar chest which I kept for years, but it got lost in one of my many moves over the years. I didn’t buy anything from the sales guy - heck, I hadn’t had a date in high school and as I planned to go to an all-women college, I didn’t see my chances of marriage changing any time soon.

A year later, I enlisted in the Navy and got a foot locker instead. I still have it. :smiley: