Ladies - tell me about Yasmin

I just went to the gyno and she’s suggested I switch to Yasmin (I’ve been taking a low dose BCP for the past 4 years). I’ll be starting a sample pack this Sunday. With the pill I’ve been on, I never had any side effects, and I’ve been very happy with that. Doc said that I might have some side effects from Yasmin, like nausea and tenderness (and something else, I forget what). Is anyone on it, or been on it in the past? What was your experience like? Thanks in advance!

I had to go on the pill a couple of years ago when my cycle went haywire. Ortho-Tri Cyclen made me nuts.

Switched to Yasmin oh, about a year ago. No side effects of any kind.

Yasmin gave me horrible acid reflux anytime my stomach was empty. But I think that’s an unusual side effect.

Well she did say nausea, and that does strike me as an odd side effect of bcp, but I’ll anticipate acid reflux as well.

I had horrible nausea my first week on Yasmin, but that was it. I did bleed heavily the first time I had a period after I took it–seven days of heavy, heavy flow. However, it was my first period in about 5 years, and I was often 12 hours or so late in taking my pills. The nurse, when I called her, said both these things could have caused it. She did say that taking your pill at very close to the same hour each day is important with the the low dose pills and that not doing so leads to heavy periods. I don’t know if that is true. I haven’t had a second period on the pill yet, so I don’t know if it will be better.

I’m just wondering why the switch if you haven’t had any problems with the ones you’re on. I wish I’d had that – I’m on my third type. So far so good.

I’ve been on it for about 3 years. No bad side effects, less water bloat than with other pills, and fewer PMS symptoms. YMMV, obviously.

It seems to me that my period starts on a much more erratic schedule on Yasmin versus others I’ve been on before. (One was reliable within a 2 hour span.) No problems otherwise.

The one month that I was on Yasmin, I was consistently nauseous and lethargic. I could barely make it through the work day and was out by 7 or 8 at night.

It really didn’t work for me, but my doctor swears by it.

We switched me to Allese(I think that’s what it’s called… blue package, orange and green pills) and that has worked very well over the last 4 or 5 months.

Love it. It’s now become the Pill of choice for women with PCOS. I believe it helps with insulin tolerance or something (but don’t believe me. Talk to your doc.) My period has become lighter and lighter, I have fewer cramps, my mood swings are better. About the only thing it hasn’t improved is my acne, which I can live with.

If Yasmin doesn’t work out for you, you can try similar drugs in the same family, like Pamela, Krista, and Carmen. Hey, is it true they’re working on a male BCP called “David”?