Ladies, would you work at Hooters?

Huh. I guess I can’t see how stripping is better than handling food or taking orders - I presume you mean taking orders for food, not orders to do unseemly acts. Which, by the way, is probably more likely at a strip club than a large chain restaurant, one would think.

I’ve never eaten there, but we went inside one thinking about it, once. (Ended up waiting too long for a table and left.) All the waitresses looked pissed off, every last one of them. Those orange shorts are so unflattering, the tank tops not so bad.

I’d never work there, but only because I HATE wearing shorts. Especially ones that would make my ass the colour of a detour sign.

I would work there, and have been considering doing so. It doesn’t seem like a big issue to me, frankly I’d just be worried about the cattiness and competition between women.

ShadiRoxan - are you comfortable flirting with strangers? Can you smile and look like you’re having fun, even when you get stupid/rude comments? Can you entice guys to buy another round of beer or another platter of wings using your looks and your attitude? Do you look good in little shorts and tank tops? (I saw your website pix before it crashed and I think you would meet this requirement with no problem.) Will you take off that engagement/wedding ring?

Hooters Girls are entertainers/salespeople, not wait staff. I believe the company even had a discrimination lawsuit it settled with the EEOC that permits them to hire only attactive women to wait on customers (no men, fat, old, etc.) but since the key is that the have to be able to do the above things to do the job since that is what makes a Hooters restaurant work.

Aries28 Wow, I have been to Hooters several times and have never seen anything like that. In fact the first time I went I was surprised by the family style atmosphere. I always see groups of guys, families etc. Also I have seen little league teams there celebrating, cub scouts after their meetings and the like. The women have always been friendly but never crossed the line like that. The only thing is I am sure you will hear more lame pick up lines there than working somewhere else, but I think most of it is meant in fun.

I stripped for 7 years without doing unseemly acts, so I guess it’s a matter of personal discretion. I also paid my way through college and raised a young child as a single parent on my pay. Personally, I’d rather work two nights in a strip club and make as much or more than working all week at Hooters or something similar.

If someone acts like a prick at a strip club, you can walk away, or have them thrown out. You’re not obligated to “serve” them. That’s a choice I’d like to have. Just my .02. It’s certainly not for everyone.

I think that with Hooters, it really really depends on who the manager is, and how well they run the place. (But, then, that’s true of just about any workplace: a lot depends on how well it’s run.)

Get the low down from a few other people about the one you’re considering working at, and stop by there to eat a couple of times at different times of the day. (Lunch, dinner, big game nights, and the like.) Keep your eyes and ears open.

If I needed a job badly enough to consider going into the service sector, then yes, I would also consider working at Hooter’s, but only after checking out the place first.

(And yes, I have eaten at Hooter’s. The one in Honolulu, by the Aloha Tower. Gooood food, at least when I was there. It was funny to watch the Japanese tourist/businessmen getting their pictures taken with the waitressess, for various reasons. :smiley: )

<< I’ve gone looking for my mind, if it comes back before I do, tell it to wait for me! >>

H8_2_W8, I do all of that at other restaraunts. I’ve been hit on at those places, sometimes with their wives or girlfriends right there. I’ve been subjected to rude comments. Hell, I get it in everyday life. I think that with an atmosphere as casual as Hooters the girls have a lot more control than you would think.

Aries28, if I saw that I would never work there. I would flirt with my tables, but never throw myself on them. It seems like that would be when you run into the troubles of touching and grabbing.

The shorts I’m not too fond of. I think it’s mainly the color and the fact that I live in the heart of Vol country where they love their football. If you look outside on game days there is what I call a sea of orange.

I will agree with Aries28.

I never went to Hooters because the idea repulsed me. So, I decided to go onnce, because maybe I was making it off worse that it really was…trying to be open minded.

We went with a group of friends. I,too, am usually one of the guys.
So we get there and the waitress is all flirty. whatever,right? Except that she started to be flirty with my husband which I didn’t appreciate at all.

Don’t even get me started about the time she came to “clean the ketchup bottle”. Use your imagination, ok? It was really uncomfortable for the whole table.

So, in short, I would never work there.

oh and one more thing.

The jerks at the table next to us kept “accidentally” dropping their forks so that the waitress to could them up.

nice.

I would be so embarrassed to do that, BnB. I feel self-conscious enough as it is when a scantily clad waitress is in the vicinity. Too easy to get slapped with a harassment lawsuit or at least kicked out of the restaurant.

Eyes down, drink soda, be subtle… Run silent.

There’s a difference??:slight_smile:

I don’t think the Hooters image is about great chicken wings, do you?

The food is “chain franchise same as the next town”, so most folks don’t go there for the gourmet cuisine.

The beer is expensive enough to keep people from going there just to drink all day/night (although I’m sure some do).

What’s the hook? Pretty girls in scanty outfits.

And most of them that I have been to trend towards a sports theme. Who are they targeting?? Testosterone charged males.

Would a testosterone charged male be more likely to give a generous tip to a pretty girl in a scanty outfit or unabrow with a moustache??

They are selling T&A with a side order of wings and a beer.

Not that I think there’s anything wrong with that.

They do have family sections, though. With actual families, I think. Their target may be the testosterone crowd, but it’s not their only target.

After their EEOC suit, I thought it would be great fun to go in and apply for a job. I was post-surgical and in a wheelchair at the time, but hey, I have hooters! (Not that I would ever work there, but that’s more because I worked in food service once upon a time, and I don’t think my back would stand up to it. If you can make some good cash, and you don’t feel you’d be compromising your self-respect, go for it!)

As mentioned, I’ve seen good Hooters that are just fun and then I’ve seen the Hooters where the girls touch and rub the male customers with their breasts…some may just call this brushing, but it’s rubbing, trust me.

If yours is one of the laid-back Hooters then go for it. However, if it’s not, I’m with Indy you may as well just strip–you are an entertainer that entertains with her body, you might as well entertain with your body in a more controlled environment and not have to lug around food.

Good Luck!

Well, other guys have chimed in so here’s my two cents. Go pick up an application and check the place out. It’s no different than working at J.B.'s, and not as degrading as T.G.I.Fridays.:wink: Those suspenders and buttons are so suggestive, it’s deplorable. (Irony off)

Nope - never. I don’t respect men enough to wait on them and have them look at me that way :slight_smile: no matter how good the pay was…

You know this is the best point against it that I’ve seen so far.

Me in that skimpy little outfit?? Everyone would lose their appetites!!!

But where I young, and fit, and needed the money… I don’t see anything wrong with taking money out of the hands of drunken, lecherous men.

What?

ShadiRoxan, I wrote the book on money problems. You’re not butt naked swinging around a pole or anything. I’d definitely consider it, at least. In fact, you just gave me an idea…