Lake Ronkonkama

Long time listener, first time caller…Frankly, its hard to come up with a worthwhile question, and this one still isn’t that great…

I’m wondering if any Long Islanders or former residents have heard about any of the mysteries surrounding Lake Ronkonkama, New York. I’ve heard tales that divers have been lost there year after year, and that the lake is actually “bottomless.” I also recall hearing about a murder concerning the lake, and several varying stories about Indians and the lake.

Any truth or clarification of these “mysteries” would be greatly appreciated.

–The more I think about it, the more I appreciate the equator!

I don’t know about the stories surrounding the lake, but it does have a neat name.

Not as neat as Lake Chargoggagaggmanchaugagoggchaunagungamaugg. Most people call it Lake Webster, as Lake Chargoggagaggmanchaugagoggchaunagungamaugg is way too much to say in two breaths.

For those who care, it’s in Webster, Mass. Nice place, too.

Jeremy…

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man’s humanity to man than a fire engine - Kurt Vonnegut

This is also off the OP topic, and I can’t come up with that long a name. I have come across a couple local legends about bottomless lakes and even ponds. I would like someone to explain to me sometime what (some) people’s fascination is with the idea of so-called bottomless lakes. I have tried to extract out of tale-relaters what the term means to them and what its attraction is (as opposed to very deep) but without success. The best I got was the explanation that he had dropped a line to measure the depth once and never felt it reach bottom. Perhaps Lake Ronkonkama is subterraneanly linked to the bottomless pond near me in Indiana. Or not.

As for coming up with a topic to post, I have yet to start a string myself.

And the Blue Hole in northern Ohio!

Is there a “bottomless” lake (pond, tarn, pool, patch of water) in every state?

Well in Florida you have the system of underground springs and rivers (caves) that would have some of the aspects of a bottomless lake. Long Island though is a glacial remnant though IIRC and probably wouldn’t have the underlying limestone required for underwater caves that could trap divers etc.

Each of the “bottomless” lakes that I knew of in SE Michigan were spring fed. My WAG was that amateurs trying to sound a lake directly over the spring couldn’t get a firm reading on the exact depth and declared the lake (at that spot) bottomless.

Tom~

It would be nice if every bottomless lake had a topless beach.