Lame question for those that know a thing or two about facebook

OK- I admit that even though I’ve been out of school for a while I use facebook. Usually, when a person wants to be my “friend”, I get an e-mail from them (actually from facebook) in my old university inbox (still active). I click something to the effect of “yes” and we are facebook friends.

Now the other day, I log on to facebook and there is somebody from my old school (that I know pretty well) listed as my friend. I can say for certain that I did not get an e-mail about this. They just showed up.

Question: Does that mean the person has access to my university e-mail account? I.E. they confirmed themselves as a joke, and then deleted the e-mail from the trash to cover tracks. Could they do so with only access to my facebook? Or is there another way to do so?

I don’t suspect anything sinister, but I’m starting to think I shouldn’t use the numerical passcode from “Spaceballs” as my passwords in the future.

Well I’ve never even heard of “facebook” but I’d put the odds against your password being compromised based on this evidence alone at something like 100,000 to 1.

There’s probably some feature that allows friends of friends to join your friend-list if you don’t uncheck some obscure box deep with the UI.

Actually, now I’m starting to think that too :wink:

As far as I know, there is no way to confirm someone as your friend without doing it through your facebook account. The link in your email merely takes you to the “confirm” page (at least it does on mine).

There is also the other possibility, which is that it was a glitch.

I have two MSN messenger accounts, and one of my contacts had somehow been copied over from one account to the other one day. I know that he didn’t know the email address of the second one, and also that I hadn’t added him myself. It was almost definitely simply a random error in the software.