Lance Armstrong LIED!

Yeah. She’s one of those people who You’d Actually Be Lucky to get to meet.
And He walked out on Her during cancer? :dubious:

Rhymes with Glass-Bowl
…actually, wouldn’t it be funny if someone gave her a crystal glass bowl with the name “Lance” etched on it? She could feed one of her dogs out of it…

Huh. I heard she left because he was too high maintenance.

Wait, a man who cheated at a sport, lied about it, then later said that if he had to do it all over again, he’d still cheat… lied about something else?

Color me not entirely shocked.

…forgot to add… how it Really should be etched…

Lance
“Rhymes with Glass Bowl”

And the ball is now out of her court.

I never understood any of the controversy at all.

In a sport that nobody really pays any attention, to (unlike Baseball, Mr. Bonds) some guy put out some remarkable achievements and a then an ‘investigative committee’ with no oversight or regulation continued to accuse and accuse and accuse and accuse because, after all, how could a man who’d previously had cancer possibly come back to win races like that?*

The last I heard (because, after all, I wasn’t really paying that much attention) was that Armstrong announced he wasn’t going to fight the latest charges because there wasn’t really a point to doing so when the accusations could just be repeated over and over and over and over.

It’s very much like the guys who are just too poor to afford decent counsel in our regular courts. It’s not necessarily that they’re guilty; it’s just that they don’t have the ability to spend what it takes to have good counsel help with the fight. So a plea or even just giving in is the result. Or it’s like being stuck in a cave with zombies coming at you and no idea how many millions are still out there. After fighting for a while, you get to thinking it’s easier just to lay down and be done with the whole thing.

But, like I said, I wasn’t really paying that much attention. I was an avid cycler in the early 80’s – probably well before Armstrong was riding a bicycle :smiley: – but I wasn’t following the TDF anyway.

–G!
*And the key, for those who aren’t quite so familiar with the sport, is in the way the team manager rotates different team members to block wind or establish a draft or whatever to help keep the big name (Armstrong) in the spotlight at the finish line.

Pretty obviously, since he publicly confessed to doping two years ago.

One year the organisers of the TdF claimed a viewership of 3.5 billion. I think that figure is massively exaggerated. However, I think some people pay attention, actually.

The thing I heard about Armstrong breaking up with that singer woman was it just got to be too tiring riding a bike all day then coming home and having to… eat crow.

I could be wrong but that’s what I heard.

The only thing worse than a lying, manipulating, bribing, bullying cheater is the lying, manipulating, bribing, bullying cheater that keeps beating you.

I wouldn’t believe a former competitor of Armstrong if they told me he breathes a nitrox atmospheric mixture at 14.7 psi.

Many former competitors of LA got caught or admitted they were cheating and most of those must have been lying about not cheating while they were cheating. Although actually some of them would simply refuse to discuss drug use rather than lie about it. None of them have been accused so far as I know by either competitors or non-competitors of being bribing, manipulating, bullies. They were just some guys who used drugs in a sport where using drugs was commonplace, and when they got caught they got caught.

LA on the other hand used his money and his power in the peloton to ruin people’s lives, and damage or threaten to damage their careers. And not just his competitors who he was beating either.

Putting LA’s competitors at the same level of asshole as LA is not objectively justified.

The reality is that LA took a lot of people for a ride including his fans who in most cases continued to fight for their hero long after he became indefensible. They got into the trenches for him. They believed the unbelievable for him. They lapped up his PR flacks’ talking points and vicious slanders and spat them out at LA’s detractors. They got into flame wars on message boards for him.

And then LA turned and said “Sorry guys, I was lying to you the whole damn time and my detractors from whom you have been defending me are right. [shrug]”.

Being played for a sucker hurts like hell no doubt, and the mind does what it always does when faced with such pain: it tries to hang onto and believe and think about any dumbass bullshit it can to avoid the pain.

Any of this sounding familar, gnoitall?

And he still gets the pussy? :confused:

Ah, that’s right. The whole “money” thing…

A liar from Texas? Heaven forfend, I cannot imagine such a thing?

I wonder how much he’s going to have left after this is all over. Probably plenty. But there was a $10M judgment against him the other day and that’s getting to a level that’s got to tickle a little.

He won’t be left homeless. If it’s too big, I’m guessing bankruptcy will protect him. Even though it’s by the government, it’s considered a civil suit, isn’t it?
Along the way there were private planes, multiple homes, fancy vacations, plushest hotels, adoring fans (including a few, still). One could make a convincing argument that it’s a worthwhile tradeoff.
*FTR, I think the guy’s a flaming asshole, even before the confession.