Laptop keyboard problems

I’m using an Acer Aspire 6930 laptop and I’ve got two different keyboard problems- the z key and the left arrow key.

The z key doesn’t work at all. Even when removing the key and pressing the squishy bit manually there is no response. So I guess that means I need to replace the squishy bit.

The left arrow key works but the metal support (it’s like a folding chair underneath the key itself) is bent slightly out of shape so you’ve got to push the key down hard for it to register as a keystroke.

I don’t know a lot about computers but I’ve been looking up laptop keyboard replacements online and I’ve got two questions.

1.) Do replacement keyboards replace just the keys themselves or do they also replace the metal supports and squishy bits?

2.) How difficult is it to replace a laptop keyboard?

1. Replacement keyboards are a whole unit. Looks like this.

2. It’s super easy. Really just a matter of a few screws. See here for photos.

What he said. I replaced a keyboard once–took all of fifteen minutes.

Is it that easy with all (or most) laptop keyboards, or is this an Acer specific thing?

Equally simple with IBM and Lenovo Thinkpads. Ten or fifteen minutes even for a hypercautious Nervous Nelly like me.

Some like the current HP Pavilions are more of a PITA because you have to remove or loosen a number of screws, and you have to very carefully detach a long plastic bezel section at the top of the keyboard that can be broken if too much force is applied.Then you have to snap it back into place afterwards without breaking it. The MB card edge ribbon ZIF socket connectors to the keyboard are also very delicate. There’s no reason they could not have had a much simpler process with some careful engineering.

I get that the screw parts are easy, but I have to admit I’m nervous about unhooking and rehooking the ribbon thing and the stuff that looks like computer chips.

That’s what made me nervous as hell too. I approached it by being way too delicate and careful, not forcing or squeezing or manhandling anything. Slow, gentle, and easy did it; things eventually came apart as intended.

The second time I did it, a couple of years later on a different Thinkpad, I was just as nervous as the first time, and just as careful. Even with my uber-careful approach it only took fifteen minutes start to finish.

I suspect that someone who knows how tough the delicate-looking little parts really are can probably swap out a keyboard in a few minutes.

So, how’d the laptop get dirty eh?

I’ve replaced many of these - piece of cake! Just don’t get me started on replacing an entire LCD unit on one… UGH!

Eating while laptopping with laptop in lap.