Laptop use outdoors

I do medical transcription for a living and would love to do it outside. I know there are filtered screens that you can get to fit over your laptop and I’ll likely pick one up. I was wondering if there are any laptops that specifically address the issue of working outdoors, though. I am in the market for a new laptop anyway, so I thought I might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Does anyone here use their laptop outdoors on a regular basis, and if so, with what kind of screen/laptop? I’m not talking about on the beach, but I’m in south FL and it’s damned sunny, even in the shade.

Thanks in advance for any info!

You can get an “anti-glare screen” as an option on most (if not all) newer laptops, as an upgrade from the reqular LCD. I can’t vouch for their effectiveness, however.

This is probably an unhelpful reply, but I work outside on café patios fairly regularly, and I’ve never had a problem with a plain old laptop (except for the glare from sunlight, but you get that next to a window, too).

Even if you can see text OK, it can sometimes be tough to see the mouse courser. Setting it to a big black arrow helps. Also (assuming windoze) there is a setting that throws an animated bullseye on the curser when you press either ctl key…handy for spotting the darned thing.

Something like this , or like this ?

Ultimate hoodie is the new pocket protector!

The ultimate hoodie made me laugh my ass off! The first covering device actually does look helpful.

As I said, I can see the screen pretty OK, but I get a wicked glare and on top of that actually reading text gets really hard on my eyes over time. I was just wondering if anyone else regularly worked outdoors with a laptop for long periods of time, and if so what they use.

I have used my laptop in my truck, sometimes with the sun directly on the screen and it doesn’t seem to be a problem, you may have to readjust the angle however on occasion.

I would think working outside where you can choose your seating position would give you even more options so you don’t have the sun directly in the screen.

Thinking about this even more a big sun umbrella over your patio table might be a much better solution then a antiglare screen.