At home, I have a laptop. I often spend hours lying on the couch, laptop on my chest, doing such things as quantum research and modeling new cures for cancer. On occasion, I also surf the web and play video games, but trust me, most of my time is spent in the higher pursuits.
It being winter and Colorado, it’s very, very dry in my house. Often such things such as shifting my legs will cause static electricity to bounce out of my finger tips onto the laptop. If I’m wearing socks or slippers, touching the floor with my feet is guaranteed to shock the computer.
It’s occurred to me that this is probably bad for my computer. I haven’t run into any problems yet - at least, I don’t think I have. My modem died mysteriously last year, but I don’t recall if I had shocked the computer when it happened. Regardless, I’m thinking there’s probably some way to periodically get rid of the static electricity, or anti-static socks I could buy, or an anti-static couch, or I could just move somewhere where it isn’t so prevalent. Anyone have any ideas? I’d hate to think that I’d have to sit upright at a desk or something to play Zeus: Master of Olympus… errr, I mean, research cures for AIDS.