Laser Eye Surgery Patient Check-In

So how are we all doing today?

I’m at just over 6 months and just had my second to last appointment on Friday. I somehow have to remember that I have another one in January. Anyhoo things are going great. Still at 20/20 although it’s not the same 20/20 I had with glasses. Bright objects on dark backgrounds get all shined out, like the moon. And the stars too, they just aren’t as crisp as they used to be when I had glasses. And squinting at the moon only makes it worse which is just the opposite of the way it used to work. Although I’ve been in theaters and haven’t had any problem there. Other then that I’ve no complaints. When I’m out in the bright sunlight everything is quite crisp, I can easily resolve leaves on trees that are far away. And the best part is I’ve stopped trying to push up my glasses.

Next.

18 months here. January 2, 2001.

The whole ‘stars’ thing got better over time (or maybe I just adjusted). I still love and marvel at being able to see clearly for the first time since I was eleven.

Wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Coming up on two years. August 14, 2000.

Status report: rockin’. Left eye is still around 20/20. Right eye is maybe 20/40, not as good, but it varies; sometime it’s as sharp as the left, sometimes it’s way blurrier. Still legal for driving.

I’ve worn glasses or contacts since the second grade. It is SUCH a relief to be done with that.

Had my surgery September 2001. Still 20/20, no side effects. Best decision I ever made. :smiley:

8 1/2 months, and while I also think my 20/20 was better with glasses/ contacts, I’m still unspeakably thankful I don’t have to wear them anymore.

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago. I love being able to see without glasses or contacts for the first time in almost 20 years.

It’s just about six months for me. At my check up I came out somewhere around 20/25 or 20/30. Main culprit is there’s still a bit of astigmatism. Still, at better than before when I was wearing my contact lenses, and I have always hated glasses, particularly while participating in sports. I initially had the serious halo/nighthaze thing like Osiris, but it is not noticeable to me at all now. I see the stars just fine. My only regret at this point is waiting as long as I did to have it done.

Seven months for me… The results have not been so great. After about 1 month everything was cool, up until 5 months, when all of the sudden I got really bad inflammation in my eyes. The doctor said it was blepharitis, which is an inflammation of the eyelids. So my eyelids were all red and puffy and my eyes were really bloodshot. Also, it made my vision blurry and my night vision worse. Not sure what number it was at, but at its worse, just barely good enough to pass a driver’s vision test (I had to renew my license last week).

I was really displeased with my clinic, because they claimed that it was caused by a non surgery related problem, so they wouldn’t treat me for it. I hope that when the problem clears up, my vision will go back to normal, but until then it’s blurry and it’s frustrating to see worse now than I did with my glasses. And unfortunately, I’ve read that blepharitis is typically a chronic condition. I used to get mild cases very occasionally, but nothing as bad as it’s been for the last couple months I’m hoping I can get some medication to bring it under control and see if my eyes adjust back to normal after a few days without the redness and dryness.

Anyway, just about everyone I’ve ever talked to has had great things to say about the process, but I’ve never been all that happy with it. If everything clears up I’ll feel okay about it, but right now I wish I hadn’t done it.

One year now. My vision’s as good as it ever was with glasses during the day. At night, I can barely drive. Everybody seems to have their high-beams on. Any point of light spreads out in a million directions and I’m completely blinded. One of these days I’m going to hit a pedestrian, I just know it.

Now that it’s all over, I guess I really can’t complain about the results. The procedure, on the other hand, was a nightmare. The pain started as they began cutting and didn’t let up. They gave me some painkillers, Vicodin I think, and I fell asleep on the way home. When I woke up, I couldn’t open either of my eyes–some kind of crazy reflexive clenching was going on. I got a ride back to a doctor, where he numbed my whole face and squirted novocaine on my eyes, and I spent the next week soaking my face with cold rags in the darkness of my bedroom. It was a truly horrible experience, and I wouldn’t do it again.

Now I’m no doctor, but I seem to remember from that godawful anatomy class in college that there aren’t any nerves in the cornea, or much of anything else. The doctor I went to didn’t offer me any explaination and I didn’t think to ask him for one, what with the fire of a thousand suns erupting in my eyeballs and all. If anyone has any info on this I’d love to hear it.

LM

Oh yeah… the outfit I went to was a very reputable organization with equally reputable surgeons… I’m far more inclined to believe there’s something odd about my eyes than that there was an error with the procedure. I only mention this because someone will surely ask if I used a coupon. :slight_smile:

LMLM

Do you drive a car? It seems that the majority of pick-ups, Jeeps, and SUVs have their headlights aimed a little higher and can blind you more easily. (Or maybe I just experience the same thing you do.)

My surgery was over 2 years ago and things are just fine (20/20 in left eye, 20/25 in right eye). I just love waking up in the morning and not having to reach for my glasses or being able to see clearly when showering or swimming.

I had my eyes done January 2002.

I am 20/15 and have had no problems other than the standard eyes are dry when I wake up and if I read too much. I haven’t had any of the halo or star problems at all. I am very very very pleased with the results.
Being able to wear sunglasses again is such a bonus, I cannot tell you.

I had mine about 18 months ago and check out at about not quite 20/20, but still below the threshold of “correctability”. Like most of the others I wouldn’t trade it for the world, and my contract with the office I went to provides that I have lifetime adjustment privileges at $150 a pop, which is about the same as a new pair of glasses would be.

When I first had it done I needed reading glasses for the first time in my life, but now my eyes have adjusted, and I can read anything down to newspaper print in perfect comfort.

I SO want to do this… I am dying to get rid of my contacts. I can’t wear my glasses, because my prescription is so ridiculous that my glasses weigh over half a pound and give me horrifying headaches, and my contact lens prescription is the strongest one that is made in disposables and is stil a bit weak for me (I don’t know what the numbers mean, but I should be a -11.3 and disposable contacts are available only up to -10) It’s reassuring to me to hear not only the success stories, but also some of the not-so-successful ones, because then I have a better idea of what to expect. Aside from Meka, did anyone else experience pain during or after the procedure? (This is my biggest fear.)

Acuvue 2’s go beyond -10.00. At the very least they go to -10.50, cause thats what I have.

I just freak out over the thought of them actually slicing my eyeball open. I’m afraid I’d freak out on the table and make things even worse.

LifeOnWry, my eye doc told me that sometimes extreme nearsightedness* is not completely corrected and you still end up having to wear corrective lenses. She says I’m also a bad candidate because I have a tendency toward keloid scarring, where scar tissue builds up. I have heard the suction cup they use can slip. Now in this thread we have pain, eye infections and poor night vision. Another thing my doc says is the long-term effects are not yet known; who knows what your eyes may do 10-15 years down the road? The success stories are heartening, but right now the risks are too great for wussy me.

*I thought I was extremely nearsighted at contacts -6.5 and -7.2!

I suppose I’m the oldest here in terms of Laser eye surgery, I got mine scraped and fried in '97 sometime.

I had no pain at all ant any point in the procedure. The worst was that my eyes felt tired for a few weeks. But then it depends not only on yourself but on the people working on you. And it is a gamgle with your eye-sight. And boy, keep us appraised **Diletante
**. I hope the medication works.

Follow the link in my first post; I was freaking out before mine, but I made it through. I typed up a step-by-step account of the surgery from my perspective.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYikes.

OK. Now that the heebie-jeebies have (almost) passed… I could probably handle that. I think. Now all I have to do is scrape up $4K.