Laser Eye Surgery Problem--Please Help

I’ve read the available threads about laser eye surgery with great interest, because I’m interested in this procedure. I’ve met with the surgeon who would do my surgery, and he says that I’d be a good candidate for this surgery except for one thing: I have dry eyes. I have high blood pressure and am taking a diuretic every day and it seems to be working. He’s given me a month to get my eyes used to the diuretic and start making more tears again, so I’m getting tested again on Jan. 29th. Outside of chopping pounds of onions every day and dropping ammonia in my eyes, can you doper suggest ways to up my tear quotient? My doctor says that my high blood pressure isn’t a problem like the dry eyes and he won’t perform the surgery if this problem doesn’t resolve itself. I’m not going to go ahead with the surgery, but I’d like to do everything possible so I get good results. Thanks for your help.:slight_smile:

Does anyone have any advice?

This is more of an opinion, but my SO had Lasik done in December. He had never had a problem with dry eyes before, but it seems to be his number one complaint after the surgery. He is still using artificial tears a few times daily to combat this problem, he has to bring them everywhere with him just in case. If I were you, I’d trust what the doctor says about this, dry eyes are no fun. If it is a problem now, it wil be a bigger one for you after the surgery.

My advice: Check with another doctor to get a second opinion. If that confirms what the first doctor said, well and good, and listen to him and believe him.

Your eyes must have sufficient tears to moisten the cornea so that the flap will reseal properly. Ask your doctor if you can take artificial tears for a while. If that is not a solution, abandon the laser surgery. You may wish to consider the old fashioned RK (radial keratotomy). Ask your doctor if he could do that, if you so desire. It’s much cheaper, anyway.

I would strongly recommend anyone considering undergoing Lasik surgery on their eyes to view this site:

Lasik Disaster

It’s about a woman whose Lasik surgery went horribly awry, despite numerous assurances from her surgeon, and is now faced with a lifetime of post-surgical problems with her eyes. There’s a LOT of info on that site, but I think it’s worth reading it all, especially if you’re considering somewhat risky surgery on one of your most precious organs.

Good luck!

If cutting the cornea results in dry eyes, I would have the driest eyes in the world, having had 16 cuts in each eye during RK. But my eyes tear sufficiently, thank you. You can always read horror stories, but finding a doctor with a good track record using an FDA-approved laser and your following postop directions (such as not getting your eyes wet) should produce excellent results. Most complications do arise from improper reseating of the flap, but if you follow directions, those chances are minimized, and that can be corrected.

All this so you don’t have to wear glasses? Wow.
I just had eye surgery (for glaucoma), and I’d follow C K Dexter Haven’s advice. I surely wouldn’t try to fool the doc. I know you’re not, but caution is the best way to go here, I think.
Peace,
mangeorge

Wow! Thanks for all of your responses. For the record, I’m not trying to blatantly disregard my doctor’s advice, it’s just that I’m so interested in the surgery that I’d like to suggest alternate ideas. My doctor even suggested that I wait a few years to see if any alternate procedures can give me the desired results. Mangeorge, my prescription is quite severe (-7.50 diopters in both eyes) and I can only take my eyeglasses off to shower and to sleep. This surgery would be worth it to me if I didn’t need glasses for driving or for seeing movies. Wearing reading glasses wouldn’t bother me. I think I’ll wait on the surgery for the time being.