Last 30 minutes of Spider Man 2 (spoilers!)

Citizen Kane reference.

:stuck_out_tongue:

He’s referring to “Rosebud”, the famous line uttered by Orson Welles in Citizen Kane. You find out at the end of the movie that Rosebud refers to a sled he had as a kid.

What, nobody’s mentioned the Toby Macguire backache joke? :smiley:

“I’m back! I’m back! … my BACK! My BACK!”

call me a simpleton, but my favourite line in the movie was another JJ Jameson gem.

JJJ’s office, I think Parker is asking for some money, deadlines are slipping by, the usual chaos of the Daily Bugle. JJJ’s phone rings, and all we hear is JJJ’s side: “My wife is calling to say that she lost her chequebook? Thanks for the good news!” And he hangs up.

As far as I could tell the film was full of Raimi’s good humour. At the beginning, when Peter is racing his moped to deliver the 29-minute pizza, he glances desperately at a clock in the street. The brand name of the clock is, appropriately enough, “Tempus Fugit”.

I must say I was not very impressed that Doc Ock, who is physically a normal man, was not crushed to a pulp when whacked repeatedly in the head by the fists of someone who can bench-press 10 tons and flip an entire steel wall over… but details, details.

Harry told him. Of course, how Harry knew is the real question.

As far as Spidey’s loss of power, it was all psychosomatic. He didn’t want to be Spider-Man anymore so his powers started failing. As they failed, he wanted to be Spidey less, and so on. Never saw the parallel to impotence until now, but then I guess I’ve a pure heart and soul :wink:

It’s been established in the comics that Spider-Man won’t use full force while fighting “normal” humans, for fear of killing them. He will only use enough force to subdue an opponent. All part of that “great power, great responsibility” stuff.

Abe You’re right about the inconsistencies in Spidermans strength.
PErhaps he was holding back from hurting him too bad? I have to say, that is Spiderman did punch someones face full force, it would be past a PG-13 rated movie for sure. :eek:

Rjung Theres even more to that joke about his back hurting!
When Tobey maguire was filming Seabiscuit he did indeed seriously injure his back, having Peter Parker go through the same ordeal was meerly a shot making fun of Tobey.
Tobey wasn’t actually hurt in that scene though, but he could act from experience. IT did however threaten his motivation for coming back and doing the SM2 and SM3. For the record, he has signed on.

If you scroll up a bit, you can read that Pete stole his costume back from JJJ through a window in the ceiling. His costume was placed on JJJ’s wall as a trophy. Even though it seems to be cut off at the knee’s, the costume seems to fit fine. :rolleyes:

The final battle revolves around Doc Ock trying to stop Spidey from stopping his new and improved “mini sun” maker. While MJ is loosely chained to a pole, watches it all go down. Spidey again sees power cables and makes it his goal to pull them out of their sockets. Of course Doc wont let that happen. A few punches and kicks later the Mini Sun is slowly pulling the building apart including several cars from across the harbor, and of course MJ as well because she is wrapped in a few chains. Right before she is sucked into it, she is miraculously saved by spidermans web. a few seconds later, we find spidey being held upside down by Doc Ock,
“How will you squirm your way out of this one Spiderman?” as a spike slides out from the inside of one of his other robotic arms, readying to stab spidey.

Spidey looks down and sees a power cable, he uses his web to pull it toward him while Doc Ock mistakenly stabs the power cable instead of Spidey, causing him to experience more than a mild shock. Spiderman leaps to the main power and rips it free, but unfortunately the fusion reaction is too far gone and it is powering itself now.
Doc Ock is a little woozy now that he isnt being electrocuted anymore, sitting in a small pool of water Spiderman rushes towards him pleading to know how to make it stop. Its during this time that Spidey rips off his mask to reveal his true identity to Doc Ock to try and reason with him, not as Spiderman, but as Peter Parker the boy genious the Doc had so much appreciation for.
MJ then in turn sees Peter without a mask, and the nhas to deal with the huge freakin wall about to fall on her.
(ahem, not exactly for the first time though, remember the alley mugging scene in SM1?)

pant pant I loved this movie. ;j

Ah, my favorite board pet peeve. Why not tell us what the hell “tempus fugit” means instead of just casually referring to a phrase from a language that’s been dead for 1,000 years without explanation?

Googling reveals it to mean “time flies”. Meh.

For next time, there’s always

http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/Latin/

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like bananas.

Ah, but if he had, he would have run afoul of my favorite board pet peeve: explaining the joke. If you don’t already know what “tempus fugit” means, you don’t deserve to get why it’s funny. :wink:

Sorry, but purposely withholding information (even of such a mundane nature) just isn’t my cup of tea. It smacks of being a boorish knowitall, especially on a board dedicated to eradicating lack of knowledge.

I am guessing he found it on the purchase orders for all the equipment that Ock was purchasing :slight_smile:

Perhaps, or maybe the tentacles fused to Ock’s spine had something to do with it. I mean, they were artificially intelligent and fused to the spinal column. Wouldn’t shock me if they did something to Ock’s ability to feel physical pain.

I see where you’re coming from, but “tempus fugit” isn’t exactly an obscure phrase. Had it been my post, I wouldn’t have thought to explain it. I’d have assumed most people would have heard it before. Which, I suppose, may be an unfounded assumption, but it’s still a far cry from purposefully witholding information to make myself look smarter. Half the English language is made up of words from other languages. If you stopped to explain every borrowed word or phrase in a post, you’d never get anywhere, and you’d sound like a lecturing pedant. I don’t mean to sound like an asshole (“Too late!”), but it’s your fault you didn’t know what “tempus fugit” means, not Abe’s. Don’t blame him for your ignorance.

And I mean “ignorance” in as much of a non-pejorative sense as possible. There’s nothing wrong with not knowing what a particular word or phrase means, but there’s also nothing wrong with assuming that people already know it. Everyone’s working from a different knowledge base, and there’s no way of knowing where those bases will or will not overlap. Sometimes, you end up falling through the cracks. Happens to everybody from time to time. There’s no shame in it, and it’s not really anybody’s fault when it happens.

The tentacles could also be capable of manipulating Ock’s body to “roll” with the punches.

Which is what really kills me about the whole thing. After that bank robbery, Ock stole, what, maybe a few bags of bills? And he’s building a fusion gizmo out of that? Bank robbery is one of the worst ways to raise cash for giant science projects.

And why is it that he robs banks instead of, oh, I don’t know, licensing the technology for the arms to others? Shipping companies, NASA, construction companies could all use something like those arms, and probably don’t need them to be super-intelligent, so the issue of damaging the control chip is less important.

And what about the independent union electricians on the Death Star? Do their survivors get the full death benefit, or was the destruction considered an “act of war” under the Imperial Life Insurance policy?

(Yes, this is a tongue in cheek post. I loved Spider-Man 2.)

Miller, I know where you’re coming from, but I’ve seen examples of this too many times. Some are much more egregious than others (Abe’s a very minor, unknowing case), some of which are deliberate. But I think a pretty good rule of thumb would be to translate any foreign language inside joke.

I apologize to everyone for the extended hijack/whining.

“Hey, my fusion-power equipment is here! Bring it right in, fellas! Say, you want a soda? Just stack everything in the corner; I’ll have to assemble the armature with my giant robotic arms anyway. Okay, here’s your big sack of money. Boy, I can’t wait to get started! Hey, listen guys – don’t tell anybody where my secret lair is, or I’ll haveta kill ya! Ha, ha! Okay, take it easy!”

Maybe it’s better not to get bogged down in some of the logistics of a comic book plot.

Except they weren’t even bags of bills! When he’s throwing them at Spiderman, you can see them bursting and spraying gold coins everywhere! He didn’t even steal bags stuffed with Benjamins, he made off with six armfulls of Sacagewea dollars!