Last 30 minutes of Spider Man 2 (spoilers!)

Your OP caught my eye. We saw Spidey II for the second time Saturday night–at the drive-in.

For a reason that is unclear to me, people at the drive-in like to leave before the credits. So, people tend to try to anticipate when the credits will run. A whole flock of extremely annoying (because they were interrupting my viewing in their haste) people decided that the movie was over after MJ and Peter had their little discussion after the defeat of DO.

So, said extremely annoying people missed out on Harry’s finding the GG gear, and MJ leaving whosit at the altar, and the “Go get 'em, Tiger” and everything.

Mwah. I feel vindicated.

You know, I don’t think that was it. I think Doc Ock’s line to Peter over their cup of tea early in the film is absolutely key to Spider-Man’s on-again/off-again poswers. Remember, he says, “If you hold something as complicated as love inside, you’ll make yourself sick.”

Then you’ll notice throughout the film that when Peter has owned up (to himself, if not to MJ) to his feelings for Mary Jane, he has fully intact Spidey senses. When he’s trying to deny them, he does not.

No prob.
Cuiusvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare. :slight_smile:

heh, that’s a good choice of phrase.

Munch, there was also an episode of the X-Files titled Tempus Fugit, where they did not explain what the phrase means, not to mention that it crops up several times in the English language. I didn’t offer a translation because, as Miller says, this is a phrase fairly common in English (as well as other languages). It would be like having to explain what *quod erat demonstrandum * means: it’s not really necessary because of 1) common usage in English and 2) the ability to find out using the Internet.

If I had caught a more obscure/complex Latin phrase, I would probably have provided a translation, but I didn’t think it was appropriate to spell out the joke in this case.

OK, I finally got to see the end of the movie (along with the first 90 minutes again). Very, very fun finish, very satisfying ending. Peter gets the girl. The fight on the train was just fantastic. The final sequence in the collapsing building was phenomenal. Did I mention that I liked it?

Hmm, it wasn’t clear to me that Ock actually died in this process. It didn’t seem like a situation his magic arms couldn’t get him out of. And he said “I will not die a monster!” which he seemed to be doing, the last we see of him, which tells me he didn’t. Or something.

Damn, I couldn’t quite hear the line – Jonah mumbles something, his wife mumbles back “caterer?” , and he says “mumble caviar”. ?

Wife: “The caterer?”

Jonah: “Tell her not to open the caviar.”

IIRC, there was an underwater shot of the sun sinking into the bay, followed by Ock, who had a dull, fixed, unblinking stare you usually only find in corpses and certain members of Congress. Either way, a very bad sign.

The whole exchange is:

Jonah: Call Debra.
Wife: The caterer?
Jonah: Tell her not to open the caviar.

(Although her name might not have been Debra.)

I also love the look his wife gives him. He is so busted, and knowing the character, will probably have no idea why.

Mostly on the bases of sundials.

Another good reason to go back to see the end scenes is that MJ flashes her panties.

He’s swimming next to a mini-sun, drawn in by its gravitational pull, which has proven itself to be very attractive to metal. I’d say he’s toast.

The idea is that Octavius didn’t die as a monster – he died as a hero, saving the city with his self-sacrifice.

As if Jolly Jonah cares. :stuck_out_tongue:

“Your wife said she lost her credit cards.”
“Thanks for the good news!”

I noticed they made a new trailer that completely gives away the last thirty minutes of Spider-Man 2.

It shows Peter revealing himself to MJ and admitting that he does love her. :dubious:

Was it made to let people have that “I remember this! I have to see it again!” feeling?

But you’d be mistaken – SolarJr’s attraction is sol-ly magnetic, not gravitic. Example: MJ was being pulled toward the mini-sun until her chains were broken, when Spidey pulled her away because the mini-me sun no longer attracted her because the chains were no more. Magnetism, not gravity.

Plus, the mighty octo-arms are specifically mentioned to be impervious to magnetism in the scene where Ock tries to demonstrate fusion to the press, so there’s little reason Ock couldn’t swim to the surface if he could avoid Solus Minimus.

Thanks for filling me in. That seemed like a fairly obvious remark for him, probably not an $8 (or $16 for me :slight_smile: ) joke (the original poster called it worth the price of the movie. I guess humor is relative.).

Bah. Every single glimpse of Dunst is worth the price of the movie. Well, nearly. She is really pretty, though. :slight_smile:

Just saw it an teared up 3 times. Damn, I’m a pussy!

Anyway, my favorite Raimi moment was in the operating room when Doc Ock goes nuts and one of the surgeons eyes a conveniently present chainsaw as a potential weapon against the tentacles. Ash is back, baby!

Yes!! Called it!

Not that predicting a villain returns unexpectedly in a superhero movie is any great feat, but having Alfred Molina himself return as Ock 17 years later is pretty unexpected!