Last House On The Left DVD.......

Wes Craven’s rape-and-revenge debut is finally coming to DVD, relatively uncut and with gore/sex outtake footage.

Given the film’s reputation and people’s sometimes violent opinions about it, does anyone here have any thoughts on why such a amateurish film commands such attention nearly 30 years after it was made?

It’s got to be the acting. Never seen such a group of perverted, depressingly down-to-earth psychos in any other film, except maybe FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE.

Not just the acting, but the script (for the most part, the “komedy” with the cops and the chicken truck was wildly innapropriate). The main characters were well written enough for the movie to be really disturbing- the fact that the kid was haunted by what they had done. The cheap look also made it disturbing- it seemed like the “snuff films” that have periodically been rumored, supposedly some of the gore footage was used as a fake “snuff film” in one of those fake documentaries. It was definitely not Hollywood product, and the first time I saw it I remember being creeped out by the thought that the people who made the movie must be sociopaths.

Not just the acting, but the script (for the most part, the “komedy” with the cops and the chicken truck was wildly innapropriate). The main characters were well written enough for the movie to be really disturbing- the fact that the kid was haunted by what they had done. The cheap look also made it disturbing- it seemed like the “snuff films” that have periodically been rumored, supposedly some of the gore footage was used as a fake “snuff film” in one of those fake documentaries. It was definitely not Hollywood product, and the first time I saw it I remember being creeped out by the thought that the people who made the movie must be sociopaths.

That outtake footage used for the “snuff film” in CONFESSIONS OF A BLUE MOVIE STAR will be on the upcoming disc, which is very cool.

I find it interesting that Last House still retains it’s “outlaw-cachet” even after being shown on basic cable. Even after being shown on IFC several times it’s still one of those movies people talk about like a dirty little secret- “oh, that movie…”