Lather, rinse ... repeat?

I’m a two-timer.

I remember when most people didn’t wash their hair every day- my mom always had hers washed once a week at the beauty shop. There was a time when I had much hair and only washed it twice a week- the repeat was definitely necessary. When I started washing it every day, I figured out the repeat wasn’t necessary any more.

I figure the “Lather, rinse, repeat” is a holdover from the times when daily hair washing wasn’t common.

This is what my hairdresser told me. I might very occasionally lather and rinse twice if I’ve managed to get a lot of product build up but otherwise, no.

I used to repeat when my hair was very oily. Now that I’m older, my hair isn’t as oily.

If I’m very sick and can’t wash my hair for days, I will actually apply shampoo three or four times. Just a small amount each time. That’s the best way for me to get all the built up oil out.

I have very dry hair and only wash it once or twice a week with shampoo. No repeats.

The rest of the time if i even get it wet, I generally only run conditioner through it or do the masque with plastic bag over the hair routine while soaking in the tub.

The old joke is “how did a shampoo manufacturer double their sales by adding one word to the bottle? The word was ‘repeat’”.

I’ve never had a problem with needing to do the deed twice (with one exception noted below). Sometimes when I’m having the mop colored, I think they wash twice but I don’t think that was what the OP intended. Even in my oily-hair days, I’d have needed to shampoo daily anyway so I never bothered repeating.

The one exception to repeat: About 5 years back, my daughter brought back some 6-legged souvenirs from summer camp. Took a few weeks for us to realize what was going on, and in that time she’d shared her inhabitants with me. We did the OTC lice rinse treatments, which were mostly but not completely effective; in the interim we did the trick of smothering the scalp and hair in olive oil and doing a thorough nit-comb (if it’s ever an issue again we’d just go straight to that, as we tended to find critters that were too large to have just hatched since the chemical treatment). As you can imagine, an oil-soaked head requires several go-rounds with the shampoo.

Only one shampoo session for me - I almost never repeat. The only time I would make a second pass is if I’ve got a ton of hairspray or mousse in my hair, but I very rarely use any styling stuff so it’s not a common thing for me.

Oh, and can I give a :eek: to the $17 bottle of shampoo that CitizenPained is using? Is anyone else using such expensive fancy stuff?

No. I don’t think mine is exactly cheap - I use Pantene - but I do get it in bulk at the wholesale club.
Another reason not to wash twice is that even though my hair is long, it’s very thin. I have no problem getting through to wash my scalp.

I don’t use anything like this, but Amazon has some stunningly expensive shampoos. Like this one. 87.49 for a liter (roughly 42 bucks for a quart-sized bottle). Or you can get a real bargain: A 6-pack for 532.19 (88.69 apiece - hey kiddies, knowing math really DOES help you save).

I use two prescription dandruff shampoos on alternating days. Once is available in generic and it’s $8. The other is $45 for about 4 oz. I use that shit sparingly, so no repeating!

Only if I haven’t washed my hair in 4 or 5 days - which doesn’t happen often.

No. I just wash it.

My hair is very thick, very curly, and very dry. I “wash” it with conditioner every other day. Shampoo once every week to ten days. First pass with shampoo pretty much just breaks the surface tension so that the second round can actually reach my scalp. (And I have a tendency toward flakes, so I use a dandruff shampoo, otherwise I wouldn’t ever bother with shampoo, much less repeating.)

I used to use that stuff! :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’s $24 for a regular sized bottle.

I had Aveda Smooth (same price) when my hair was longer. Now it’s shorter so I’m using Paul Mitchell & Goldwell.
:frowning: It’s my hair. I don’t like cheap(er) shampoo. I guess finding shampoo for $13 and conditioner for $12 is a steal for me.

No, it’s gone.

I do use the uber-cheap stuff, though. Like the cheapest you can get.

If you have a lot of built up dirt, oil, or hair product, then you’re gonna need to lather and rinse twice. If you wash your hair more than twice a week, you probably only need to lather once.

My mother also used to get her hair washed once a week at the salon. I grew up washing my hair once a week, and when I hit my teens, I found this was no longer sufficient. I STILL need to wash my hair at least every other day, and rinse it out well on the days I don’t wash it. Since I don’t like the smell of my hair if it’s been rinsed but not shampooed, I’ll generally just use a little bit of shampoo every day. It eliminates the oil and the smell.

I repeat, mostly to get the tangles out of my (extremely thick) hair.

I’ve never had a hairdresser who didn’t repeat. I was always the one that didn’t. I go by the lather method–when it lathers, I stop repeating. When my hair is short, that’s once. When it’s long, it’s twice. When it’s been a while since I’ve washed my hair, it’s thrice.