Laughter is the best medicine

In Cecils laughter is the best medicine answer I was surprised not to hear anything about endorphins. I learned through a psychology course that when you smile endorphins are released in your body and it gives you sort of a ‘natural high’. Of course when you laugh you’re smiling usually. :slight_smile:

endorphins
Pronounced As: endôrfinz , neurotransmitters found in the brain that have pain-relieving properties similar to morphine. There are three major types of endorphins: beta endorpins, found primarily in the pituitary gland; and enkephalins and dynorphin, both distributed throughout the nervous system. Endorphins interact with opiate receptor neurons to reduce the intensity of pain: among individuals afflicted with chronic pain disorders, endorphins are often found in high numbers. Many painkilling drugs, such as morphine and codeine, act like endorphins and actually activate opiate receptors. Besides behaving as a pain regulator, endorphins are also thought to be connected to physiological processes including euphoric feelings, appetite modulation, and the release of sex hormones.

A link to the column is appreciated. Is laughter good medicine?

You are relatively new here, so you may not know that when quoting, you are expected to cite your source. Your definition appears to come from http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/04112.html

Welcome to the SDMB, and thank you for posting your comment.

Please include a link to Cecil’s column if it’s on the straight dope web site. To include a link, it can be as simple as including the web page location in your post (make sure there is a space before and after the text of the URL).

Cecil’s column can be found on-line at this link:
Is laughter good medicine? (11-Dec-1998)

moderator, «Comments on Cecil’s Columns»

My colleague bibliophage beat me to it again!

Here’s another thread on the same subject:
Laughter