Lauryn Hill has the best tax dodging excuse ever!

Lauryn Hill Says She Didn’t Pay Taxes Because She Went ‘Underground’

My favorite was where she explained she used to pay her taxes until “it was necessary to withdraw from society, in order to guarantee the safety and well-being of myself and my family … Obviously, the danger I faced was not accepted as reasonable grounds for deferring my tax payments, as authorities, who despite being told all of this, still chose to pursue action against me, as opposed to finding an alternative solution.”

During the five year period when she wasn’t paying taxes because she was in fear for her life, Hill recorded an album and had two concert tours.

Sounds like schizophrenia

My dad went to jail for not paying taxes. 3 years. I’m sure she’ll be fine. Sure, not all celebs who dodge taxes evade jail, but I’m not too concerned for her. Wesley Snipes (and I guess Martha Stewart) are the only celebs that I can think of who served time.

Actually, I think it makes her a rotten bitch.

Didn’t Martha Stewart do time for insider trading, and not tax evasion?

You’re right. But iirc she had an issue with not paying taxes before that. Sorry.

She’s supposedly under the influence of some cult-like advisor. It wouldn’t surprise me if the whole underground retreat was his idea. Mis-education of Lauryn Hill, indeed.

IIRC, she’s had an issue with not having sanity for quite a while.

Nope. She was convicted on four counts of obstruction of justice and lying to investigators: http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/05/news/companies/martha_verdict/.

an update on her court hearing: she pled guilty to not paying taxes for calendar years 2005, 2006 and 2007 (totaling $1.5 million), and she could face up to a maximum of a three years in prison…

source: http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/06/lauryn-hill-pleads-guilty-not-paying-taxes

This is why it pays to get a good education.

In those 5 years she went from this to this. Something wasn’t out to get her-- something got her!

I had no idea Clown College was a 5-year degree…

Whoa.

Perhaps she and Wesley can get together and search for the real tax evaders.

Yeah. Lauryn hasn’t been quite… right for quite some time. Wouldn’t go so far as to say mentally ill, but mentally she’s not with the rest of us.

She really, really needs to hook up with Wyclef again.

‘Hooking up’ with Wyclef is what started all of this.

Really? I wasn’t aware she had done anything before the Fugees.

Oh, of course. They should have said “We’re sorry the Evil Clowns tracked you down and forced you to look ridiculous. Of course we’ll forgive your non-payment of taxes…” :rolleyes: