[QUOTE=Sapo]
Oh, and for the “contras” on this thread. I think that this is not a thread for dangermom to defend whether LDS tennets are right or wrong but more for the non-LDS to get an idea of what the LDS believe in, no matter if they are right or wrong.
[/quote]
I can’t speak for Dangermom, but, for myself, thank you, Sapo! You get it!
I’m ex-Mormon, because I (like many here, apparently) can’t handle the mental disconnect needed to believe in so many unbelievable things before breakfast. That does not mean I can’t rationally discuss this stuff. For the life of me, I’m completely at a loss as to why certain people here are foaming at the mouth to attack the LDS religion in general (and it seems, Dangermom in particular) when this is supposed to be an informative thread. This isn’t about “we’re right and you’re wrong”, this is about what the hell Mormons believe.
So… moving back in time…
[QUOTE=Sapo]
So if death-bed conversion are no good, what about people not initiated in the LDS faith at the time of their death? Is there any chance of salvation for them?
[/QUOTE]
This has been covered before in this thread - posts 20 through 24, roughly, with a few others possibly thrown in. The gist is, Mormons believe it is possible to learn and grow in the afterlife, and to have the chance to come to know God even if you were the worst sort of heathenish heathen. One of the ways the living Mormons can help in this is to perform ordinances for the dead, who did not have the chance to do so themselves in life. The dead are still free to make their own choice.
[QUOTE=Valteron]
have a question: What colour is the skin on the physical bodies of God the Father and Jesus Christ?
[/QUOTE]
I almost don’t want to answer this one, simply because it appears you’re itching for a fight. But here goes.
As Dangermom points out, they’re exalted - a state which is described in such a way as to make me think of them as being 100,000-watt light bulbs.
They could be white (hey, Jesus was Jewish), or for that matter Arabic in skin tone, considering the era and location where the happenings in the Bible took place (remember, Mormons believe in the Bible too). Or Greco-Roman, or Negro, or whatever. I’ve never understood the hoopla about skin color that anti-Mormon activists raise; nowhere that I’ve seen does Mormon literature come out and state “God is White”.
The closest I’ve heard to a declaration of skin tone is the Mormon belief (which is essentially the same as Christianity in general, I believe) that humanity as a whole is “created in God’s image”. Since it’s pretty freakin’ obvious that humanity includes white, yellow, red, brown, black, and every shade in between for skin tone… God must be plaid. 
Ok, seriously, Mormon doctrine doesn’t state a skin color, it simply says we are made in His image. You’re free to take that how you will. When I was in the church, I took it to mean that he appeared to be the same color as yourself, but had no fixed color Himself.
[QUOTE=Cisco]
Wait wait wait. We have a tread examining Mormonism from a critical standpoint and dangermom here cannot handle the heat. She then starts a thread basically saying, “Come here with a default respect for my brand of baloney, check your critical thinking skills at the door, and I’ll answer [or half-answer] the questions I feel like answering.”
How is this different from Peter Morris’s recent dowsing thread? Is it simply because more people share dangermom’s beliefs then share Peter Morris’s? Because that is one of the worst possible reasons I can think of to dignify this stuff with questions.
[/quote]
[QUOTE=Cisco]
Which is exactly why we should not take seriously or dignify with questions the people who insist that these books are FACT - FULL STOP.
[/QUOTE]
But you’re not questioning someone who insists they are FACT, as you put it. Dangermom was quite clear, in her first post, that she’s well aware that there is no real evidence for the BoM and other books being factual. Here, let me show you:
[QUOTE=dangermom]
- Do you accept as literally true the story of the gold tablets? Relatedly, do you believe the Witnesses saw the tablets literally or in visions?
Yep, I do. Yes, I realize that there is no real archaeological evidence for the historicity of the BoM; I suspect there will not be for quite some time (probably never)–although it is interesting to me that there is more linguistic and geological evidence now than there was in 1830. If the BoM was a fake, it ought to have fallen apart as promptly and completely as Ossian’s poems did, and it certainly shouldn’t contain the linguistic and cultural elements that it does. (Of course, I’m sure you’ll disagree about whether or not the BoMdid fall apart like Ossian.)
[/quote]
She is stating her belief, which may or may not be supported by facts. People believe things all the time that aren’t necessarily backed by fact. And in the case of religion, it’s pretty hard to back any belief with hard fact – that’s why the word ‘faith’ was invented (and is used as a synonym for ‘religion’).
This thread, specifically, was started to provide informative answers about what Mormons believe, not necessarily why they believe it – though, if done properly, that sort of data can be gleaned.
Essentially, this thread is, as tomndebb points out, in here simply because there isn’t a better forum for it – so, while it’s in Great Debates, it’s not really a debate. This is a Q&A session.
Make more sense now?
–sofaspud