Lefties Playing the Race/Islamophobia Card

Here’s a fine Itlalian recipe for stracotto d’asino that should work. It’s a very straightforward stew that doesn’t smother the taste of jackass with overspicing. Just onions, bay leaf, a couple juniper berries to cut through some of the gaminess, and little tomato, garlic and wine. All applied in moderation.

Hey, I gave you a nice link! :slight_smile:

It’s right there in the Straight Dope cookbook. Look between “I wish these little trolls would be more interesting” Crepe and “Jeez, these guys really are pathetic aren’t they?” Kabobs.

It isn’t my own, but I’ve used this very easy recipe for baked ribs a few times, and it’s always been well-received. It calls for boneless ribs but I’ve done it with bone-in as well.

Cranberry, Bacon, and Brie Popovers in 35 Minutes
http://www.sofabfood.com/cranberry-bacon-and-brie-popovers-in-35-minutes/

No, no - we’re entertaining each other. Here’s my contribution, from Epicurious:

Pine-Smoked & Maple-Glazed Wild Salmon Epicurious | August 2011
by Sarah Huck and Jaimee Young
Campfire Cookery

Provides 4 portions

1 to 2 large handfuls green pine needles (or rosemary, if you’d rather)
1/2 cup bourbon
1/2 cup grade-B, freshly tapped maple syrup
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons freshly milled black pepper
Four 6-ounce salmon fillets, patted dry
Kosher salt, to taste
One 9-inch round wire cooling rack

1. Prepare a medium-high-heat fire, with the flames occasionally licking the grill grate. Let it burn for at least 30 minutes. Whilst the fire heats, soak the pine needles in the bourbon.

2. In a bowl, whisk together the syrup, mustard, and pepper. Season the salmon generously with salt and coat with the glaze.

3. Place a large cast-iron skillet upon the grill grate. Let it heat until very hot. Using tongs or one’s own gloved hand, press the needles into the bottom of the skillet, taking care not to drizzle combustible bourbon into the flames, and place the rack on top of the needles. Place the fish on top of the rack and cover the pan.

Cook until the fish is just opaque, about 15 minutes for medium.

Serve, brushed with additional glaze, if desired.

this does look easy, thank you - do you think it would work in a crockpot? I would like to prepare it the night before then leave it cooking while I am at work. :cool:

As the father said after seeing his son’s marching band,

“I’m proud of you, my boy; everybody was out of step except for you.”

I do ribs in the crock pot all the time and they come out really well. I usually use my mother’s BBQ sauce recipe but bottled works fine if you thin it out with a little water or chicken broth too.

I’m sure it would. The ribs won’t have that touch of crispiness you get from baking them uncovered for the last half hour, but I bet they’d still be good and fall-off-the-bone tender.

I like this recipe a lot because you get a homemade sauce, but it’s very quick and simple.

Everybody has their “best” recipes. They really are a tiresome bunch aren’t they? They have to show how haute their cuisine really is. How much better they are, with their sea salts and their infusions and their glazings.

What’s wrong with simple things? Jell-o? fishsticks? You…fishstickophobes!

Can’t we do both, like the late Earl Warren ? I propose to you : Mac 'n Comté. First you cook yer macaronis any way you feel like, then you drown 'em in unpasteurized French cheese. Hearty, homemade, gourmet cooking ! :smiley:

Personally, I think we haven’t been big ENOUGH bastards. You motherfuckers don’t understand anything else anyway.

My favorite version of lemon trout

4 tablespoons butter
2 skin-on trout fillets (6 to 8 oz. each)
Salt and pepper
4 sprigs thyme
2 small lemons, 1 thinly sliced and 1 juiced
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
In a large (10- to 12-inch) cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Season the trout with 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Place the trout, skin side down, in the skillet. Scatter with the thyme and lemon slices.

Cook the trout, spooning the butter from the bottom of the skillet over the fish often, until just cooked through (do not flip), about 5 minutes. Transfer the fish and lemon slices to a serving plate.

Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lemon juice, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Spoon the pan sauce over the fish. Top with the parsley

To get back to the OP, cribbage is my card game of choice. I will play hearts/spades from time to time, but I don’t have the patience for bridge any more. I find poker tedious.

Barbecue Rubbed Pork Chops

=================
1 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp dry mustard
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground red pepper
4 6-ounce bone-in center-cut loin pork chops, trimmed (about 1/2 inch thick)
Cooking spray

Combine first 9 ingredients. Rub over both sides of pork. Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add pork; cook for 2 minutes on each side. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 8 minutes until done, turning occasionally. Remove from pan; let stand 5 minutes.

Cribbage, indeed, is a very enjoyable game. A good mix of skill and luck and one of the best two-player card games. I spent many an evening at the pub back in my 20s whiling away my time playing cribbage, downing pints, and enjoying conversation. 'Tis a good game with a drink.

If you like an equal helping of luck and skill, back when the old Bull And Mouth tavern in Riverside was still open they would have Blind Man’s Darts night on Thursdays. Two person teams consisting of a student from the local school for the blind(or a blindfolded idiot) and a sighted guide who was allowed to give verbal instructions only.

If you add some hot sauce to that, you get Buffalo left wings.

My mom always did something similar for the bridge club. She’d take thinly sliced ham, spread it with cream cheese, and wrap a dill pickle in it.

I thought this was supposed to be a defense against trolling, not an excuse to troll some more. I mean. . . beet juice? In food? Really?