Lemony Snicket's Penultimate Peril

I bought it the week it came out, but until this week I was too busy with classes and work to read it. I’m glad I finally made time for it!

Yeah it was!

My theory about them: I think Mrs. Baudelaire is Lemony’s lost love Beatrice. In the dedication to this book, the tag is “Nothing could extinguish my love, or your house.” I’ll have to go back and look for more clues about that.

Like bienville mentioned, the moral ambiguity is KILLING me! In a good way. Through the last forty pages or so, I kept saying “I can’t believe he’s going there! I can’t believe they did that!” Both with the Baudelaires and the big reveal about Count Olaf’s parents.

Youngest child is getting this book for Christmas from Santa. I think we will have to reread the previous book, to refresh our memories, because the references here are making no sense to me!

We read the series over summer break, and are now reading Harry Potter. I mean that I am reading them aloud to him at bedtime.

Thank you, SouthPaw and bienville! I never saw your help with my questions when you posted it. I feel differently confused now. Because of the picture I was expecting an elevator to fall.

I always like to go by the idea that Lemony Snicket is their dad and Beatrice is their mom. It’s always contradicted by things Lemony says but I still like it. It’s most of all contradicted by the fact that if Lemony has a brother Jacques and a sister Kit then he can’t be Mr. Baudelaire at all since they are all called Snicket. Unless he took his wife’s name or unless Baudelaire was an alias if they had to do that after being framed up for Olaf’s parents’ murder. Which I now think they were. I don’t think I could handle the moral ambiguity of them actually murdering Olaf’s parents by poison dart at the opera. (If I even have that right.) But it does seem to me that Lemony has whined before about a fateful night at the opera. It’s hard to remember. What I really need is the sugar bowl! And a big chart on the wall. And to have paid better attention to the clues. :frowning: