My new addiction : Lemony Snicket

I shall now wax rhapsodic about the joys of a new series of books I’ve discovered by the (pseudonymous) author Lemony Snicket.

Yea, verily the series is called “A Series of Unfortunate Events.” I just picked up the first Wednesday and devoured it. Yum, yum. Got the second one today and now I’m hooked. Yes, they are supposed to be children’s books, but they are so well written and so entertaining that I am now addicted and will gladly sell my soul for the pleasure of reading the entire 13 volume series (of which, I believe, only 8 have been released so far.

The series concerns the tribulations of the three Baudelaire orphans, Violet, Klaus and Sunny and the amazingly tragic things that happen to them after their parents are killed in a fire and they are parceled out to an increasingly bizarre series of relatives.

They are fairly inexpensive for hard covered books … only about $10 a shot. But truly, this is what the Invisible Pink Unicorn gave authors the ability to write to produce.

Trust me.

More here.

Based on the website and some appearances the character has made on Nickelodeon, Lemony Snicket is a nutty old man who dislikes his own work.

They’re working on a movie.

Lemony Snicket kicks ass.

Be sure to check out the “Unauthorized Autobiography” recently published, and take note that Snicket provided an excellent promo blurb for Neil Gaiman’s new novel Coraline.

But yeah, the SOUE is awesome. We all love it in our house.

That is all.

If he comes through your town doing appearance work, GO AND SEE HIM BECAUSE HE IS THE FUNNIEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN!

He’s wonderful, simply wonderful in person. Take books for signing because he has a cool gadget which fits in nicely with the exquisite design of those books.

The kids are named Klaus and Sunny? I will definitely be reading these books. :slight_smile:

We were discussing the release of the Ninth in another thread (started by Mighty Maximo, so now you know of a fellow fan).
Pick up The Carnivorous Carnival today! Lemony Snicket does kick ass. Here’s an interview with him from Entertainment Weekly from about six months ago (or, one with Daniel Handler, to whom we owe thanks): http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,238386~5~0~,00.html

Lemony Snicket is transcendant, a word which here means “fantastic, absurd, hilarious and wonderful.” We’re in the middle of the 4th one at my house.

Absolutely loved the first. Unfortunately I’m forcing myself to read some “serious” books before I return to the series.

Why force yourself to read serious books before returning to something you really enjoy?

I agree! And besides, they are serious books, especially the seventh through ninth ones. At least I think so – and they also made me laugh until my sides hurt, although they made me quite sad as well.

If anyone would like to resurrect my thread to discuss the ninth book in particular, that would be great (it died the death very quickly), but otherwise I won’t hijack this one.

I have been a long time fan of the series and have read all the books.

Oh and Jodi, later the kids become friends with Isadora and Duncan Quagmire.

I love Lemony!! I got the t-shirt, even. Did y’all get the magnets?? I’ve bought copies for so many people. I almost wish I was still working at Borders so I could deal with the irritated parents. This is so good after all the years of Goosebumps, Sweet Valley High, ad nauseum.

I’ve got the magnets.

I made the person find the magnets from behind the counter. I got right assertive about it. I wanted my damned magnets.

Of course I pretended my kid wanted the magnets but he’s just ignored them.

Crud, I forgot to praise another aspect of this great series – the audiobooks. Normally, I can’t stand the things. But one of my roommates who I converted to the series picked up the audiobook of The Hostile Hospital and I was really blown away by it.

I mean, it’s Tim Curry. That’s usually worth a listen in and of itself. But while I was listening to the book, I realized that the voice in my head that I’d assigned to Lemony Snicket sounded just like Tim Curry and I’d never realized it. Perhaps you won’t have the same reaction, but I’d say it’s worth checking out.

I’ve got the magnets and the T-shirt too . . .

I live in Rhode Island and I didn’t even catch that reference until I went web searching for more information and someone pointed it out to me. The books seems to be filled with little things like that. Besides Isadora and Duncan Quaqmire (which someone else already mentioned) there is a banker, Mr. Poe who has two sons named Edgar and Albert.

I don’t mind if this one gets hijacked to talk about any specific book. Just please keep the spoilers to a minimum as I’m only in the middle of The Reptile Room right now and there are quite a few people here who haven’t read them at all. Of course, at the rate I’m going, I’ll probably breeze through all eight by the end of the week!

I think my favorite thing about the books is that the kids are smart. They don’t solve their problems with violence (like in Home Alone) or by waving a magic wand and say a BS Latin phrase. (guess) I’m pretty sure Klaus is the first kid character I’ve ever read who, when confronted with problem, wants to go do research in a library.

My parents like to listen to books on tape in the car on long car rides. And guess what they picked…A series of unfortunate events. I had a headache. In the first two books, the guy reading is not Lemony Snicket. And the reader makes the most obnovious fake coughing sounds. And all these other obnoxious voices. I realize this sounds petty, but if you hear it, you would understand. Because of this, I have developed a distinct dislike for the books.

I love the LS books, too. The thing I like best is the use of very adult words. . . and the explanations given for those words. I’m way past being a kid, but I think kids can enjoy having their vocabularies expanded through these books.

And the actual author was just on CBS SUNDAY MORNING a week or two ago. He had a jam-packed audience space at a huge bookstore for an appearance/signing & put on quite a show!

I’ve heard of these, but I was afraid to pick them up. A series about tragedies that affect orphans? Isn’t it horribly depressing? What’s the appeal? Do the children win out in the end?

Psst. Kids like dark stories, or haven’t you read any Brothers Grimm?
Bought a few of the series for my stepson when he was between Potters. He enjoyed them.