Leonardo DiCaprio as J Edgar Hoover-Will It Be Good?

I am looking forward to this flick-I think that Leo did a good job portraying Howard Hughes (“The Aviator”).
I happened to read a bit of his interview in GQ magazine, and it seems that enough time has passed to permit a critical look at Hoover’s role in the FBI.
I wonder how the film will deal with Hoover’s relationship with Clyde Tolson, and how Hoover was allowed to stay in his job so long.
Also, Hoover’s obsession with communism-the guy saw communist agents everywhere.

Subject material good, Leo is good, Clint Eastwood the director is good - so, things look good.
Saw the trailer yesterday and the only thing that looked out of place was Leo as an aging J. Edgar - makeup looked really, really fake and poorly done. Granted, it was a short glimpse, but it just didn’t work.
I notice they will touch on J. Edgar’s sexuality - nice little hint of that in the trailer.

So - have high hopes as well, other than that brief glimpse of Leo as the “old” J. Edgar.

Has Eastwood directed any bad movies? Primate costars not withstanding.

He’s directed more bad movies than good movies. Even after his semi-retirement as an actor, when he was making Oscar-bait films like Million Dollar Baby, he was still pumping out mediocre stuff like* Blood Work*, Hereafter, and Changeling.

I think so. I’m hoping to see Leo in a dress.

Yes, that wold be “Mary” Hoover!

How is Blood Work after his retirement? He was the star and appeared in practically every scene.

It also wasn’t that bad. And everyone I’ve talked to about Changeling has either absolutely loved it or hated it. So there’s more going on there than just a mediocre movie.

Semi-retirement. More recently, he also starred in Gran Torino. So, like I said, he’s not finished completely. But it was around Million Dollar Baby that he said he was shifting his focus from acting to directing.

I trust they won’t use the now totally discredited transvestite story but knowing Hollywood it will be too good to pass on even if it is false.

The source of the story was author Anthony Summers’ book Official and Confidential: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover/ A previous book by him on Kennedy had shown how cavalier he was with the truth and this one was no different. No serious Hoover historian or biographer puts any credit into the tale. See this link for instance.

I think it’ll be amazing.

And don’t forget Oscar winner Dustin Lance Black wrote it. He won Best Original Screenplay for Milk. Reviews of the script floating around rank it as outstanding.

The rest of the cast looks great too: Naomi Watts, Josh Lucas, Armie Hammer (the Winklevii!), Judi Dench, Stephen Root, Dermot Mulroney, & Lea Thompson (I haven’t seen her in anything for ages).

I haven’t watched the trailer. I’m actively trying to avoid it. I’ll be there opening day no matter what.

I see the right wingers are starting to come out of the closet to slam the film for even daring to mention it. They’re swarming all over IMDB, like roaches.

If it is a great movie, it’s going to be one hell of an Oscars threat (sorry folks, I’m getting into Awards Season mode, so I’ll tend to be very annoying the next few months) with nominations likely for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best ORIGINAL (not Adapted) Screenplay, Cinematography & Costumes. Leo’s overdue for an Oscar but it’ll still be one of the most interesting (and hunky) Best Actor lineups in a long time (I’ll predict Leo’s up against Brad Pitt for Moneyball, Jean Dujardin for The Artist, Michael Shannon for either Shame or Take Shelter and I’m not sure who else, maybe Christopher Plummer for Barrymore).

There is plenty of people who were in the government who believed hoover was gay.

Don’t see why not. Leo doesn’t appear in junk.

Now here’s a biopic that’s been too long coming. Hoover is awesome subject material and they shouldn’t even have to use too much poetic license.

Hereafter was really, really bad.

I kinda liked it, is it the near death thing that put everyone off?

I see what you did there.

Here’s a link to the trailer in case anyone needs it. Today was the first time I’ve seen anything about this film (I’m way out of touch apparently) and I think it looks truly great.

I just saw Hereafter this weekend. I thought it was well put together and well acted, and some scenes were really poignant. But I had a hard time getting past the talking-to-the-dead thing.

I had no idea there was a movie about Hoover coming out. It sounds promising, based on this thread.

If you ever get a chance, sometimes Fox Movie Channel airs the 1970s low-budget “Private Files of J. Edgar Hoover.” Broderick Crawford plays Hoover as a flawed character but without being cartoonish aspect–but I don’t think they addressed his relationship with Tolson. I get the idea that Hoover was a pretty private person, so I’m guessing the characterization was Crawford’s and the directors. It will be interesting to see how the new version will turn out.

David Halberstam once commented that in his opinion Hoover and Tolson were a “couple” of sorts, but he didn’t personally think that the relationship was ever consummated.

Was JEH friends with Roy Cohn? Cohn is a very interesting charcter-corrupt to the core, but a staunch anti-commie. Hoover saw commies around every corner-so logically they probably knew eachother.
And Hoover’s relationship with the Kennedy clan? I always wondered if he was blackmailing JFK-as he had done for MLK (taping King’s extramarital affairs)-JFK would have provided a mother lode of closet skeletons.
Hoover had a lot of stuff destroyed after his death-I wonder if some of the jucier stuff escaped the flames?

But I thought he never came out.