Let me be real clear: this message board does NOT need conservatives

YES! Sorry. I misread.

He also threw in “issues”, in case anyone missed his subtle innuendo about the sanity of liberals. Well, I’m sure he’ll be along any time now to explain.

Correct; not so much the piercings but definitely the vegan/PETA/crying at parties/crippling anxiety & depression/declaring videogames and other works of fiction to be “problematic” thing.

To be fair, it’s much more soothing to think like that.

Never pictured you for a piercings and video games guy.

Whatever. I don’t judge.

Much.

@Martini_Enfield, It must be hard, to be so self-loathing. Perhaps you should stop being a sucker for conservative propaganda and stereotyping of the people you claim to be aligned with on a number of issues, and actually engage your brain to see that you are being had by those seeking to use the politics of division to get people like you to act against their own interests? That’s assuming you’re totally not a conservative, as you’ve previously protested.

If you truly believe that the earth is flat, your only choice is to believe all the round-earthers are part of a hive mind conspiracy.

Complete sidebar: Flat earthers fascinate me. The mental contortions they go through to push aside all physical evidence is extraordinary.

You have to admire the commitment and will power required to remain stupid and wrong.

In this case I do. :slight_smile:

In other cases, I wish we could just put people in a colony where the idiocy only infected themselves. Looking at you anti-vaxxers. :unamused:

Did you all see the leader from this weeks issue of The Economist?

Here you go.

Subscription required. Can you quote some of the more salient paragraphs?

Actually, no. I subscribe on my Kindle, but that is somehow not good enough to get the full article online. Go figure. We have got to fix that.

Suffice it to say that they bemoan the bullying of the illiberal left and they tell people to shut up and get of their platforms. They see such ideas as simple tyranny.

Hush you! You’re not allowed to talk about that. It might make some white boy reading this thread feel bad.

This should please Dopers. According to this study greater ideological intolerance is a sign of intelligence:

Mostly rhetorical: what physical evidence (of a non-flat Earth)? It seems to me it’s really a question of (1) how little we can actually come to know the world through casual observation, and (2) whose reporting of the evidence beyond our observation we will credit.

Well, my reaction is that that research is problematic. It may be correct, but it needs to be verified with different methodology.

ETA: response to DemonTree’s post

I’ve watched a few documentaries on flat earthers. They set up elaborate experiments to prove that the earth was flat. When the experiments proved the opposite, then they blamed it on the experiment failing rather than accepting that it succeeded.

I’m still waiting for pictures of the giant ice wall… it sounds neat.

Don’t confuse flat-earthers who set out to make documentaries for flat-earthers in general. While many do no doubt go through extraordinary hoops and mental gymnastics to maintain belief in the face of what should be overwhelming evidence against their position, I would wager (not literally, because rules) that the vast majority of flat-earthers fall into the category of believers who credit other (alleged) believers over actual scientists.

I’ve visited the southern hemisphere and observed that the moon and constellation Orion were upside down compared to how I see them at home. Maybe flat Earthers have never travelled?