Let’s Talk Tacos

Where is that taco truck on every corner that Trump promised me!!! :rage:

That was only if Hillary won.

Damn those look good.

Thanks to this thread I hit Taco Bell for lunch today!

Made us some shrimp tacos today. A nice crema with yogurt, lime, chipotle, salt. And a slaw with a yogurt, lime, cilantro, garlic and cumin dressing. Tort, then slaw, avocado slices, topped with shrimp (coated in taco seasoning and fried in olive oil) and crema on top.

You’re killing me! I’m having pea soup with repurposed Easter ham. It keeps leaking out of the tortilla.

Oh yeah, alambres are the be-all end-all. I’d love it if I could find a place that would serve them as just tacos, though. Every place I’ve had them at spreads the fillings over 8-10 tortillas, and you kind of have to just dig your tacos out of it. That’s not bad at all, but it’s a particularly messy way to serve them.

Whenever I have them, I make sure to mention it to my co-workers in Mexico City, because I know it will make them hungry for them. :clown_face:

A similar dish is huaraches, but instead of tortillas, a base of masa is cooked before topping it. I love them too.

The local truck just does it as a plate, with the tortillas wrapped in foil on the side, easy peasy. Either make them into tacos or just dig in with fork and fingers like I did. :wink:

And well, I hit submit way early on the post above: but never, ever think you know what a new place’s al pastor is like. It’s the first thing I have at any taco place, and the dish I get varies widely. Sometimes it’s basically just puerco en adobo, sometimes it’s a very nice trompo al pastor with pineapple, and sometimes it’s an almost bizarre pork dish with just about every spice under the sun in it, plus some pineapple.

I can’t say I’ve liked every al pastor I’ve had, but I have had some that completely changed my idea of what the words “al pastor” could encompass.

Hehehe, if I could find it served that way, It’d be a little neater than the way I’m getting it served now. The way I get it. you’ve got one choice: you either slice+dice your way down to tortilla, or dig the tortillas up through the cheese.

Served with tortillas on the side? That’s basically an extra tasty fundido. Usually a fundido is chorizo, peppers, onions and cheese served with tortillas on the side, but I’ve corrupted it with other ingredients at home. Sometimes they’ll throw some tequila on top, light it on fire and call it flameado, but it seems to me the theater doesn’t change the flavor of the dish (even if it is kind of fun). If you can get yourself some of that, I highly recommend it.

Yeah, once we get done fixing the old house for sale and have a whole Sunday to cook, I’m making fundido and eating it until I have to wash myself with a rag on a stick. Mmmmmmmmm.

Oh! And there’s a few places in Dallas that are serving what they call “fundido” tacos. It’s really whichever meat they’re specifying covered in some sort of spicy queso sauce with peppers and onions. After I got over the part of my brain that said “NO, FUNDIDO IS SUPPOSED TO BE STRETCHY AND CHEWY, NOT SOME DUMB SAUCE!”, I was able to accept that this thing was delicious as hell, if not what I normally thought of as “fundido”. So, if you have a fundido taco on your menu, I’m sure to order it the second time I visit. After I’ve judged three of your al pastors on my first visit.

And I’m still a hard believer in the crunchy taco! With a good ground beef picadillo and a decent home-fried shell, orange cheddar, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, a nice hot jarred green salsa…oooh, heaven. I don’t even want to make beans and rice. Let’s just eat tacos.

The only hard shell tacos I really like are the ones where they stuff a corn tortilla with shredded meat and dip the whole thing in the fryer, pull it out and stuff it with cheese, lettuce and salsa. There’s a chain in the SoCal beach cities called SuperMex that does them that way.

I think you misspelled Jack In the Box. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That’s a taco dorado (fried taco) around here. My favorites are the potato ones.

That’s what I thought, but the last two times I’ve seen that on a menu, they just turned out to be the shell that’s fried.

Can’t say I’ve had a taco from the Box since I was in college, but aren’t their taco shells those nasty preformed things?

Sorta. They come to the outlet frozen and prefilled with whatever it is they fill them with. The drone then drops them into the deep fryer filling and all. When they are soaked with oil they are pulled out, a slice of American cheese and 3 strands of wilted lettuce are added, some off-brand taco sauce is added and they are wrapped and sold to the stoner at the drive-thru. You can’t buy 1. You have to order them in sets of 2.

You may dig this!

At home I brush corn tortillias lightly with oil, toss 'em on a baking sheet at 350, maybe 3-5 mins, until you just smell 'em. Flip 'em over, add your meat/whatever and cheese on top. Back in the oven a minute or two, pull 'em out and top with your cool stuff, and eat right away.

Not quite as delectable as fried, but when you nail your timing they come out perfectly pliable to pick up, yet amazingly crisp and crunchy.

I hope it helps!

That sounds good!

I’m really disappointed the OP didn’t go with a thread title of 'Let’s Taco 'bout Tacos".

Carnivour though I am, these Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Romesco sauce leave nothing to be desired. OP can use corn tortillas to avoid gluten. My wife likes them as in the recipe, while I think that a little sour cream, diced cucumber and green onions really put this over the top. They will make you want to slap yo mamita.

Oh, don’t skip the Cilantro Lime Rice as a side.