Let'm know how y'all tawk

I was on question 92 when the page decided to turn into something else on its own, and wiped out all my responses. I don’t think I’m gonna repeat all that. :mad:

I have always heard “whipping shitties”, but now that I think about it, it seems like whipping shitties is done in the snow or other loose stuff. So if I am doing circles on dry pavement = donuts, in the snow, or on loose gravel = whipping shitties. Looking at the map, maybe it’s a Minnesota thing.

I’ve just been told that they say whipping shitties in Lincoln, Nebraska…whatever that means.

I’m surprised no one commented on this one:

[QUOTE]

1. What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining?
    a) sunshower
    b) the wolf is giving birth
    c) the devil is beating his wife
    d) monkey’s wedding
    e) fox’s wedding
    f) pineapple rain
    g) liquid sun
    [/QUOTE}

The wolf is giving birth?? The devil is beating his wife!??

To say nothing of monkey’s wedding. I just don’t get it. Not only is it bizarre as all hell, isn’t kind of a big ol’ mouthful to describe rain falling when the sun is still out?

I love whopping shitties, though.

Uh, that should be whipping shitties :smack:.

Crap.

So to speak.

In defense of “The devil is beating his wife:”

Beating your wife is a bad thing. Therefore, rain.

But…It’s the devil’s wife. Therefore evil getting it’s ass kicked. Therefore, sun.

Heard it but don’t use it. I prefer sunshower.

I’ve heard a friend from Birmingham, Alabama say “the Devil is beating his wife” when it’s raining but the sun’s out. I asked her why they say that, and she had no idea.

And the stuff in your eyes when you wake up is called “sleep,” by the way, and that’s all there is to it. As a kid I thought it was formed via some kind of mystical transubstantiation and it was actual, solidified sleep.

And now the word “sleep” sounds funny to me. Sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep.

I like the idea of the survey, and I think it’s a great undertaking. But I’m wondering how accurate it really is. For example, I’ve never heard anyone who is a native southerner pronounce “cot” the same as “caught”.

Ooh! I hate it. The map is only of those 48 snooty states! And I gave them “Chicken Skin” too. Well, I was probably 1 of 44 people who gave it but still.

I do. But I guess a Texan isn’t really a Southerner. How would you pronounce them differently?

I love the map of What is your generic term for a carbonated beverage?. Being a Freshman in college, we have had many a discussion about what the proper word for this is…

Here’s a bigger map from another study. map

Sigh, for the coke vs. pop. vs soda study.

That was pretty cool. I speak pretty standard Pittsburghese, with a smattering of dat/dem/dese from living in upstate NY for a few years. Actually, I think I speak what was referred to as Standard American. But I know when I get angry, or am around other folks from “Da Burgh”- as well as people from Brooklyn or the Bronx (who sound a lot like P-burgers, with a few distinctions)- I break into my native tongue. :stuck_out_tongue: Much to the amusement of d_redguy, who just thinks it’s the funniest/weirdest damn thing. :rolleyes: Oddly, 4 years of living in the South hasn’t really affected how I speak.:dubious:

For the 68% of respondants who don’t have a word for the strip of grass between the “sidewalk” and the road, I offer the Australian option “nature strip”.

I put the word “sidewalk” in quotation marks, because that’s another word I never use. The standard in these parts is “footpath”.

All in all, an interesting site. I cannot imagine living in a world where 55% of people responding to a survey pronouncing “Mary”, “Marry” and “Merry” the same way, but apparently I do! How about that!!

I do and while Texas may not be considered Southern, Tennessee most definitely is.

I put “Devil Strip” for this. I’m not sure if I’ve ever heard anyone besides my mom use that term though.

Do those who pronounce cot and caught the same also pronounce tock and talk the same?

Um I say cot and caught differently but tock and talk the same.

And I’m from Mass!

What I really wanna know is if 97 percent of people call a drink with milk and icecream a milkshake (I say frappe) What do they call a frothed drink with just milk and syrup? (this is different than just adding hershey’s syrup and stirring)

For some reason I find that insanely funny at the moment - I nearly spit coffee everywhere. :smiley: