Let'm know how y'all tawk

Skelji, I’ve heard that “dope” is an old Southern expression for coke (uh, coke as in soft drink, not as in cocaine), but I’ve never actually heard it used.

How would you pronounce Mary, marry, and merry differently? I say them all the same way.

Mary “mare + ee” (long a like care)

Marry “mar + ee” (the a sound in tarry or parry)

Merry “meh + ree” (the e sound in berry)

My first thread to go to two pages! I’m so proud.

I asked Bluesman about the raining-while-the-sun-is-shining thing, and he said he’d always heard it as “The devil is kissing his wife.” He spent up 'till age 12 in Tennessee, and then moved to Texas. I guess they had nicer devils there.

The frappe/milkshake thing makes me wonder - what on earth do you call a milkshake in the rest of the country? Do you poor bastards have to do without? I prefer frappes, but I like to know that I have an alternative.

Mmmmm… black raspberry frappe… ah…

the drink you call a milkshake is something I’ve never even heard of in my 31 years of life. Unless chocolate milk counts.

I call them phosphates! None of this newfangled “cokes” or “sodypops” or “sodas” or “pops”!!! The latter two being whatcha take when yer gut’s all riled up and the other one bein’ yer pops dadgumit. Now git outta mah beans afore ah shoots ya.

I am disappointed in the quiz because it didn’t have something like “You say you’re from here but your dialect says you’re from here” or “Yeah, your dialect’s from the same place you hail from”.

What really got me were the “anymore” questions. Who the hell talks like that?

And my answer for the person who cuts across two lanes on a highway: asshole.

Originally posted by jackelope
“Whipping shitties”?

Okay, I don’t say this myself but…have you ever called doing a U-turn “flipping a bitch”? Well I’ve heard people instead of saying “flip a bitch!”, say “Quick! Pull a shitty!”

Cracks me up just thinking about it!

Oh and do you get the results in the mail or what? Or are you just supposed to look at the maps?

You take the survey, and then compare your answers to the map.