Let's discuss the Democratic Convention!

I’m a die-hard C’tian Righty Republican, against federally-funded embryonic stem cell research, & really dislike Ron Reagan’s giving the DNC ammo.

That said- he gave a good speech. If the idea didn’t totally creep me out nor strike me as unnecessary, I’d be persuaded.

Ilana “Annie” Wexler is on now. Damn, she’s good! Let’s watch her in the future (and I will pray for her conversion to my side!)

Putting Cheney on time-out? OK, that’s cute!

Now, frig off! :wink:

Being in Boston, I just have to say “Oy! Get it over with, already!” I’m glad they’re having fun; I’m happy they’re all happy. Really, it’s swell. But, ah, I don’t think I’m going to miss the conventioners and their accompanying transit issues much when they’re gone.

Heinz-Kerry is speaking now. I think I like her. She looks classy and sounds honest.

Have we ever had a foreign-born First Lady before?

I don’t know (about foreign-born first ladies) but I get the feeling from listening to Ms. Kerry that if her husband is elected and screws up in any way – she’ll kick his butt.

Her appreciation for freedom and democracy simply shines.

One of the guy’s on the MSNBC panel thinks Teresa “won’t play in Peoria”. Does he think we’re stupid? Of course she will.

and she doesn’t seem like a Stepford Wife, like the former Barbra Bush.

On a lighter note, its been a long time since the Democratic Party has come up with such attractive candidates; re Edwards and Dean.

True – nobody can appreciate those things like somebody who grew up in a country without them!

Yes, Louisa Adams, wife of John Quincy Adams; she was born in London.

Okay, but T H-K would be our first African First Lady! White, of course, but African-born. Is that a new thing, or what?!

I appreciated Teresa Heinz Kerry’s forthrightness much more than Hillary Rodham Clinton’s campaign BS about changing her hairstyle and baking cookies to try to please people. That attitude isn’t really her, and it showed. I believe people should be themselves and be honest.

But I do think Teresa Heinz Kerry, although one hell of a classy lady, gave a speech with lots of abstract ideas and not many specifics. Unfortunately, it will put some people to sleep and sail over other people’s heads. I’d vote for her if she could run, but I don’t think she’d be elctable.

And boy, the feeling that all the speakers were desperately trying to get themselves psyched up enough to get other people to vote for Kerry was almost palpable. Whatever his stands on the issues may be, he has all the charisma of a wet noodle.

Haven’t caught much of the convention but I am glad to hear Clinton did that. I always thought that the Dems should do that and wondered why they didn’t. I think too many of them are probably afraid to draw attention to their own wealth. Clinton, of course, since he is no longer running for anything, can afford to do so.

Clinton and Barack Obama have been the highlights so far. I’ll hop on the Clinton speech bandwagon…but he can only represent the past at this point, no matter how eloquent or effective his oratory is. Obama, provided that he wins and does a fine job as a senator, just has to be the major face of the Democratic party (and perhaps on a ticket within 12 or so years). To put it bluntly, the black vote is essentially the most dependable voting bloc for the party - and at some point the ceiling has to be broken.

Al Gore and Teresa Heinz-Kerry gave fine if not superb speeches. Al Gore had some funny lines too.

(By the way…Tipper Gore…grrrrrrrrrr).

Hillary Clinton’s speech has been panned a bit, but she had an awkward role. She was originally not scheduled to speak, and then asked to introduce her husband on short notice. She should have been given her own platform tonight.

Also, I wish they highlighted some of those other women senators. Two (Lincoln and Landrieu) are from the South - and might help turn Louisiana and Arkansas - the most likely southern states for Democrats these days. Why they had the worst public speaker I can think of (Mikulski) talk for them instead was a shame.

Ted Kennedy’s speech began poorly, and I almost turned it off after he slurred suburbs into servants. But it improved at the end, and frankly he should have only given a ten minute pep-talk.

Gephardt and Dean zzzzzzzz…thank goodness they were not nominees (though I suspect a nominee puts much more into his speech than a guy who’s there to pad out the roster).

I didn’t see the young girl speak.

On one hand, I wished that Ron Reagan Jr. dropped the pretense of giving a “apolitical” speech and made an explicit endorsement of Kerry’s entire campaign. But other than being the son of a president, I’m not sure if he has any political credentials of his own to base an endorsement on. His presentation was fine, and he seemed to have quite a few people in tears.

If anything, his speech drives me to look into the stem cell topic more - because , I have serious questions about the use of embryonic cells but I am far too ignorant on the topic to make a judgement one way or another on its ethical merits. Maybe I should start by searching some threads here…

By the way, is anyone else watching the old speeches on C-Span? Truman’s 1948 speech was something else. He opened by declaring “I’m going to win this election and make the Republicans like it” or something of that nature. He then argued that farmers and workers who didn’t vote Democrat were “the most ungrateful people in the world”, and closed by calling for a special session of congress to put the Republican platform up for a vote, calling the other party’s bluff. His swagger was outstanding, and a stark contrast to the mushy platitudes of today.

It was also a bit rich when he complained about the congresses’ “Anti-Catholic and Anti-Semitic” displaced person’s legislation, since we know know he harbored anti Jewish feelings at various times in the presidency, and as a young man even flirted with Ku Klux Klan membership.

Obama was electrifying. He WILL be president someday, mark my words.

I’m starting to quite like Theresa Heinz-Kerry. I think she’s very appealing, smart and independent. She’s no Stepford wife but she doesn’t come off as strident either.

I noticed that all the Fox News stooges seemed to have gotten talking points that told them to question Theresa’s ability to “connect” with middle American women. She connected all right. Every woman I’ve talked to seems to like her anyway, and they like her in a different way than Hillary, they want her to do well, they defend her, but Theresa is a woman they want to actually hang out with and talk to. She seems like she would be a fun person to know.

I like Teresa Heinz-Kerry. I mean, I *really * like her. But can anyone honestly tell me she gave a decent speech last night? Hey, public speaking may not be her thing, or at least massively public speaking, with a speech writer who isn’t familar with her tone and pace.

Also, why is the Keynote Speech not the final speech of the night?

The Keynote speech is the one scheduled for the best TV time slot.

Damn, I wish I’d heard Obama. Was he as good as Cuomo in 1984?

Heh. The first African-American president might *literally * be one. Even if it’s Teresa Heinz-Kerry.

Teresa Heinz-Kerry came off very well. She seems to exude strength and wisdom. I think the more we get to know her, the better we’re going to like her. There is NOTHING phony about this lady.

What can you say about Obama? The man seems to be channeling Martin Luther King. Not since King have I heard such a tremendous speaker and one who comes across as so utterly sincere. He is to oration what Tiger Woods is to golf and Michael Jordan to basketball and Wayne Gretzky to hockey all rolled into one.

Ted Kennedy gave about the worst speech I’ve heard him give. He certainly deserves some podium time, but it’s time for him to retire from the starting lineup.

What I want to know is: are they going to do a roll call vote? Or will the nominations be by acclamation?

Roll-call, probably for nostalgia’s sake, but not starting until 11PM. The business of conventions now is TV time, not nominations.

Understood- but how can Edwards accept a nomination before it is officially made?

I think the first Black President will almost certainly be a Republican. Simply put, not many Pubs would vote for a Black Democratic candidate, but LOTS of Dems would vote for a Black Republican candidate.

I like her, too. I didn’t see her talk last night, but other times when she’s spoken she has this funny, appealing, kind of half-drunk air about her. She doesn’t seem to owe anyone any favors, and just speaks her mind.

Oh, okay - the *presidential * roll call is tonight, following the nominating speech and seconding. The VP is nominated tomorrow (probably by acclamation), followed by Kerry’s acceptance speech, then Edwards’, then the balloon drop and photo op.