Let's Figure Out The Best Weird Al Song, Part 1: Parody Nominations

We did something like this ten years ago, but in honor of the Weird Al movie, let’s do it again.

In this round I invite one and all to nominate Weird Al PARODIES. Weird Al originals like “Albuquerque” or “One More Minute” will get their own category.

For the purposes of this competition we will count the polka compilations as parodies, so you can nominate them, but please specifically name them if you wish to nominate them.

Please nominate up to SEVEN Weird Al parodies. You don’t have to rank them; all nomination mentions are one point. You may nominate fewer than seven if you wish but full ballots are appreciated.

To help you out, because there’s a lot of them, Weird Al’s website has a list of parodies:

I’ll start.

Eat It
Pretty Fly For A Rabbi
White and Nerdy
Party in the CIA
eBay
Jerry Springer
Taco Grande

Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch

Fat
White and Nerdy

Cragslist
Foil
Party In The CIA
Perform This Way
Smells Like Nirvana
White & Nerdy
Word Crimes

Amish Paradise
I Lost On Jeopardy
(This Song’s Just) Six Words Long
Smells Like Nirvana
The Saga Begins

Amish Paradise

Amish Paradise
Ebay
Jeopardy
My Bologna
Another one rides the bus

Bob
Yoda
King of Suede
All about the Pentiums
Livin’ with a hernia
Beverly Hillbillies
Perform this way

Amish Paradise
Livin’ with a Hernia
Fat
Smells like Nirvana
Beverly Hillbillies
Canadian Idiot

Amish Paradise
It’s All About The Pentiums
Jurassic Park
The Saga Begins
Smells Like Nirvana
Taco Grande
White & Nerdy

I’m putting Eat It at number one. I remember sitting in the restaurant attached to the P/X in Munich back in 1984, and being excited that the song on the jukebox was Eat It instead of Beat It. I know it’s not Weird Al’s first song, but it’s the first big hit of his that I was aware of.

1. Beat It
  2. Fat
  3. Amish Paradise
  4. White & Nerdy
  5. Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota
  6. Christmas at Ground Zero
  7. It’s All About the Pentiums
  8. One More Minute

This was not an easy list to compile.

Some of the ones you listed aren’t parodies. Does that make it easier, or harder?

It was hard for me to limit myself to just 7, but here’s what I came up with. Ask again later and I might give you a different list.

Eat It
I Want a New Duck
The Saga Begins
Smells Like Nirvana
Spam
Tacky
Yoda

Many of them are good, but The Saga Begins rises to the level of genius.

Yoda
The Saga Begins
I Lost on Jeopardy
Eat It
My Bologna
(This Song’s Just) Six Words Long
King of Suede

Amish Paradise
Another One Rides the Bus
Cavity Search
Foil
Jurassic Park
Ode to a Superhero
Theme from Rocky XIII

Eat It
Amish Paradise
I Lost on Jeopardy
The Saga Begins
Dare to Be Stupid
Ricky
Polkas on 45, really any of the polka medleys

Agreed (though Amish Paradise is a close #2 IMO). Weird Al largely put the song together from internet rumors about the movie before it was out, and needed almost no alterations once it did come out.

It’s Still Billy Joel to Me
Headline News
Word Crimes
Another One Rides the Bus
Ricky
Gump
Foil

If we’re going to go that direction, how many of Weird Al’s songs are actually parodies? The legal definition of a parody is that it’s humurous social commentary or literary criticism in which one work imitates another. Does that sound right for a lot of Al’s songs? What’s Eat It a parody of? Beat It would be the obvious answer, but what social commentary or criticism is Al making there? Does it even have to be a specific song to be parody? Christmas at Ground Zero is a parody of Christmas Songs. One More Minute is a parody of those 50s love songs.