"Let's go down to the quarry and throw stuff in there!"

Here in Bloomington, IN, limestone capital of America, you didn’t throw stuff in the quarry, you jumped in it. Ever seen Breaking Away? Every now and then someone would get killed jumping off “Rooftop.” I never jumped, but I did hang out there often. There was a good 4x4 off-roading trail leading up to it.

youtube

Top Gear Moderators go to the quarry and throw stuff in there

Stop trying to make Let’s go to the quarry and throw stuff in there! happen.

Is going to the quarry and throwing stuff in it streets ahead?

Streets and streets ahead!

I’m afraid the levee is dry.

I don’t remember a quarry as such where I grew up. We had gravel pits where everybody went to hang out and drink beer and watch submarine races and that sort of thing.

But there were some sink holes where it was fun to throw stuff.

I wonder if Letterman brought his quarry fascination to the early versions of the Late Show where he would toss stuff off the building onto the street…

Much joy in watching stuff disappear and go splat.

When I was in Junior High as we waited for the bus we’d put stuff out in the street (usually stuff from our lunches) to watch it get run over. Yogurt was cool. Apple were surprisingly unsatisfying.

Ah, but does it beat piling stuff on the railroad tracks? Like a stack of pennies and nickels, to make an elongated sandwich of metals… Just remembering it makes me Let’s go to the quarry and throw shit down there!

Geez! What is with this phone? I was trying to explain I Can Haz Cheezburger? to a local alderperson at the country club, and I texted a colleague to ask a question about Let’s go to the quarry and throw shit down there Cats------CRAP! It’s doing it again! Damn phone-- whenever I type Let’s go to the quarry and throw shit down there -----Oh I give up…

I don’t even know who did this… somebody at work (was it Steve?)

(Steve…)

Ever watch the TV show Supernatural? Well, the director, Eric Kripke, seems to throw in quite a few references to his hometown of Sylvania, OH and environs which will often include references to Centennial Rd. On Centennial Road and around the area are just such quarries (Centennial Quarry is the most well known) and I have watched people jumping into, swimming, and throwing things in these very quarries… It’s not so hard to jump in and go swimming, the trick is getting out. But Dean Winchester definitely seems very much like a “Let’s go down to the quarry and throw stuff in there (and park and make out)” kinda guy. Just a funny little inside story… keep an eye out for the “Centennial” references, I’ve seen quite a few.

God dammit. There are REAL QUARRIES and they’re beautiful places out in the woods with soaring cliffs and stuff. But there’ll be a big old pile of trash right at the bottom of the cliff, from broken bottles to cars and console television sets.

It’s this weird thing that internet memes sometimes have real, actual, non-cyber, non-virtual physical manifestations.

I could swear I hear this said on a TV show or movie. My Name is Earl maybe?

Posted up thread:

Thank you.:slight_smile: