Let's have a pet language peeves thread!

They call those “eggcorns.” There’s a whole database of 'em out there.

Be warned: the eggcorn site is not very funny.

Crud. The inevitable misspelling in the post complaining about grammar. :smack:

And, well, of course my peeve is slightly illogical; that’s what peeves are. But it’s my pet peeve, so I hug it and pet it and squeeze it and call it George, as often as possible. :slight_smile:

Another one:

“He was talking to John and myself.”
Aaarrgghhhh again. Say “me”, not “myself”. Perhaps it is grammatically correct, but it grates on the ears like fingernails down a long blackboard.

Well, Walmart caters to, er, a different demographic. Let’s leave it at that.

XM Radio has a 24/7 World Cup discussion channel; another thing you need to know about XM Radio is that when ads run, the screen of your XM receiver actually shows a “title” and “artist” line for the ad, which generally translates to “thing being advertised” and “people advertising it”. Wal-Mart runs an ad for a new department they’re adding in some of their stores called the “Soccer Headquarters”. And the “title” line reads “Soccer HQ’ers”. AGH! Soccer headquarterers? Rat bastards!

English is like that in the European nations that don’t speak it as an official language, as most US Navy “servicemen” can attest.

“Warsh” I’ve heard of, but the other two seriously sound like something a preschooler would say. Amblience? I’m not trying to put people down, I understand that’s what people who live there have heard all their lives, but amblience? I’m seriously baffled about where that could’ve possibly come from.

We go over this over and over and over and over again. There’s nothing wrong with using a preposition at the end of a sentence. The false distinction is just another way Ivy Leaguers can find to feel significant to everyone else. And I’m a grammar stickler, too. When was the last time you carefully reworded your sentence so that you avoided putting “from” at the end of it?

Now, granted, most of the examples you gave sound awkward and uneducated. But among friends, I prefer to say “Where you at?” because “Where are you?” sounds to me like something you’d ask in an interrogation, or of an employee who’s an hour late. “Where are you, asshole?!?!” Maybe that’s just me.

Ugh! I hate that shit. Bugs me to death.

It really bugs me to see people combining nouns into new nouns, as though they were all one word to begin with, and taking an adjective and a noun and twisting the combination into a pair, like “He free-shoots well”. Makes me want to go on a killing spree.

Those two really get my goat too. I thought nobody else was bothered by them!

You mean the hamblience.

I think it’s older than the Ivy League. It seems to me to have been one of those “good” ideas from Oxford or some similarly snooty British university where they tried to force English to follow the rules of the one language that was truly classic: Latin. No matter how far English is from the Romance group of languages, let alone Latin itself.

Ah yes, the “not ending a sentence with a preposition” B.S. I’ve been known to become quite vitriolic at that little grammatical shibboleth, um…AT! HA!!!

Verbifying.

:smack: Thanks for the education…I stand corrected! That’s going to take some concentration for me to get used to. :slight_smile:

Oh, and speaking of Walmart:

The Womens section - it’s already plural, you can’t add an S! Or, apparently you can since there are huge signs declaring “Womens”. I guess it’s more that you shouldn’t. Ever!

People who still use the false generic: MEN does not mean PEOPLE. MEN does not include WOMEN. The idea is ridiculous: If there’s a group of one million women, would they be referred to as men? If one of the woman goes into labor and delivers a boy, are they now a group of “men”?

Whenever I run into a person who insists that “men in the Bible means people” I ask them if they agree that “men should marry men.” When they loook horrified and say “Absolutely not,” I respond “Well, according to YOUR thinking, I’ve just said that people should marry people. Who else should they marry? Animals?”

I think every woman should stand up for the principles he believes in.

The “S” is possessive, not plural. Though why they can’t be bothered to add an apostrophe, I don’t know…

Nobody said “men” means people. The joke was based on the fact that “man”, as in mankind (for example), means people. Take a chill pill. I’m no more opposed to equality for women and same-sex marriage than you are, and I don’t think our joker is either.

MoDOT apparently made a large order for some under-stop-sign signs, which all state: “On Coming Traffic Does Not Stop”.

It’s probably irrelevant, since no one ever reads them, but it bugs.

Since (because?) a premature baby was born before the normal period of pregnancy, and a pre-op transexual has not yet completed the full cycle of sexual-reassignment surguries, then you’d expect the term “pre-owned car” to describe a vehicle that has not yet been owned, instead of am insultingly transparent euphemism for “used.”

Here’s one that makes me shudder even to this day. My freshman English teacher in high school used to say, when the class got a little too vociferous, “I want the talking stopping.” It seemed she should’ve said “I want the talking to stop” or “I want the talking stopped” or just “Shut the help up kids!” to avoid any grammar issues.

Now, it may very well be correct, but it sounds horrible. Grammar gurus, is that correct?

We’ve been preaching to the converted with all these language threads, you know. The people who need to read them don’t show up in them. That’s why you can open just about any thread at random and see people who don’t know that “who’s” is not a substitute for “whose”, others who have a “morel delima” to work out, or declaring some situation to be “rediculous.”

If you want to be driven crazy by strange dialect and complete disregard for the conventions of language, try talking to someone from Newfoundland or New Brunswick or Prince Edward Island. Guy asks me a question about his brother. “Where’s 'e to?” “Um, what?” “Where’s 'e to?” “I’m sorry, I don’t know what you’re asking me.” (exasperated) “Where’s 'e at?” Like I’m a moron because I’ve never heard anyone mangle the language quite so badly before.

I’ll PayPal you a dollar if you get an oversized Sharpie, cross out “traffic” and replace it with “my girlfriend.”

Add me to the list of those to whom “could care less” and “tack/tact” confusion are the equivalent of nails on a blackboard.

Here’s on that hasn’t been mentioned yet. For some reason it bugs me when people say such things as “It is interesting to note…”
No, you tell me, and I’ll let you know if I find it interesting.
*(Perhaps that one resonates with me because at an early stage in my career a judge said something very much along the same lines to me. Since then, I always say, “I find it interesting that…”) *

I also think “I’m good” in response to “How are you?” sounds a mite off.

And there ought to be a special circle in hell reserved for folks who raise their hands and then say a variant of, “May I ask a question?”

“Begs the question” doesn’t mean “raises the question.” I hate that one. I’m sure it’s come up in other threads, but I just had to mention it.

A local grocery store had multiple express lanes. Some had signs with the word ‘Less’ and some had signs with the word ‘Fewer’.

Bob