Let's help pick Facebook's new name!

It’s already messed with my Metabolism.

80% of the people either don’t know or don’t understand the meaning of “meta”, and the other 20% shrug and know that Facebook just wants to pander to the nerds, while they ask themselves what’s meta about FB.

Soon: Metazon:

Imgur

No, wait, something’s not right…

Here!

Imgur

Meta’s logo looks like a damned thighmaster, and it contains the initials MZ, so that must have been a fun assignment for some poor graphic artist.

Very well seen, very well thought, very well done. Kudos!

Bit late, but Private Eye suggested Faecesbook.

And the decision is made: Meta

Anyone else notice how both Alphabet and Meta are common words which makes it (at least slightly) harder to search for stuff involving those companies?

Who’ll be the first jerk that tries to be Company? Or even better: Employer.

Ron Artest should sue for trademark infringement.

been there, done that… and still think Facekenstein is good. Zuckenstein would be OK too. The monster that escaped his creator’s control

It’s rare that people choose a Lissajous as a logo if it isn’t bilaterally symmetric both horizontally and vertically

Sadly given facebook/meta’s influence in our lives, I think that its more likely that rather than allowing facebook to hide behind the word meta, it more likely that the opposite will happen so that in a decade or so no-one will think of the original meaning when they hear the word meta. Similar thing that happened to googol, madonna, and amazon.

So metaphysics will be the physics of Facebook and metastasis will be the Ministries of State Security of Facebook? Or perhaps the Episodes of Civil War in Facebook? Or just Facebook cancer spreading?

Would Metta Sandiford-Artest have any case, given the different spellings of Metta/Meta?

Is there any chance that instead of the golden arrow… that at the intersection…
you could put a cat’s ass…?

I predict a great deal of Meta static.

I’ve noticed, but I don’t think it helps, as everyone still thinks of Google as Google. No one reports on what Alphabet is doing. So you can still find it. At worst, you google (hah!) Google Alphabet.

What I hate is just that I liked the words “meta” and “metaverse.” I use the previous word a decent amount. And I don’t like that the latter is a lot of people’s original exposure to the concept. It’s like branding yourself as “The Telephone Company.”

Fortunately, what I said in my first paragraph applies, and I doubt many people are going to start referring to Facebook as Meta. And we can always go retro and start referring to “cyber reality” or other such terms for the “metaverse.”