Let's pick the cream of the contemporary Christmas movies

*Elf *and *Love, Actually *are pretty good choices, since I can’t pick my favorite Christmas movie of all time, Scrooged.

Can’t beat Love Actually, a true classic.

Elf started promisingly but turned to crap the second Buddy left the North Pole. Not even Zoe Deschanel could save it (though why they made her a blonde, I have no idea).

I haven’t seen Bad Santa, but it sounds promising.

Missing the cutoff by two weeks, but otherwise the best TV Christmas special is Olive the Other Reindeer

The Year Without a Santa Claus

Heat Miser is a god. I still remember his song.
Never Mind: I didn’t read the OP

It’s perfectly explicable, she was completely hot. Aand gagging for it. I mean, I love Emma Thompson as an actress, but hot, she isn’t. And yes, I’ve seen The Tall Guy.

I quite liked The Hoiday, (if only for teaching me what a meet-cute is) but it seems not many other people did.

Bad Santa is far and away my favorite Christmas movie. I watch it every year.

Alright, I’ve been whooshed.

I vote for Elf.

NBC did a live action remake in 2006!

Didn’t know about it? You’re lucky.

We liked it. It’s not an outstanding movie, but it has its high points. Eli Wallach steals the movie.

Another vote for Bad Santa being the best Christmas movie since 2000 although just to throw out one that hasn’t been mentioned I enjoyed Reindeer Games when I saw it in theaters.

But you guys are all crazy Miracle on 34th Street is the best Christmas movie of all time and it also explains how Santa could exist but have people not believe in him.

Yeah, what is it with that? That was a severe disappointment. :mad: :smiley:

Not sure it qualifies but I like “The Ref” with Dennis Leary, as a Christmas movie.

Me too. (Post #20)

The only Christmas movie I ever really liked was Scrooged. And as I look that up, I see it was released in 1988. Holy moly.

Elf, easily. I do need to make a point to see Bad Santa though, apparently.

I agree that neither top A Christmas Story.

Another vote for Bad Santa. John Ritter’s last live action film. Shit, Bernie Mac is dead too, isn’t he?

Do TV episodes count? Because the Xmas episode of Stroker and Hoop RAWWWKS!

Win.
For quotes, I like: “Your name is Thurman Merman?” “Yeah.” “Jesus.”

How about:
Santa: “Well shit in one hand and wish in the other and see which fills up first.”
Kid: “Okay.”

Kid: Your beard’s not real.
Willie: No Shit! It was real, but I got sick and all the hair fell out.
Kid: How come?
Willie: I loved a woman who wasn’t clean.
Kid: Mrs. Santa?
Willie: No it was her sister.

Wow, we went this far without The Polar Express?

Yes, I know it gets shown about 1000 times during December, but I bought the blu ray so I can see the movie without all the obnoxious pop up ads that seem to dominate tv showings of the movie.