Let's talk all things Jamaican-Jerk style: recipes, techniques, etc

So here’s my jerk chicken adventure from this weekend-- it involves an injury, a hospital visit, but ultimately pretty good jerk chicken :laughing:

I made the jerk marinade paste Friday night almost exactly using Pulykamell’s marinade recipe from the “What to make with a chicken " thread. As a mentioned in my previous post, my grocery store only had one sad habanero pepper so I bought some “Marie Sharp’s” Habenero sauce and used half the bottle for the marinade. Still, the resulting chicken was not very hot so I definitely plan to use 8-12 habeneros per Pulykamell when I finally get my hands on that many peppers.I also added a peeled clementine orange for a bit more citrus.

As I talked about in the “What to make with a chicken” thread I’ve been trying to emulate the technique of a restaurant called “Fenton’s Jamaican Jerk Chicken” which is gone now because the owner Fenton Brown Sr. sadly died back in February. They made the BEST chicken using a 2-step process: first searing the chicken over a hot grill, then slow-cooking it in a pan in its own juices so it’s falling-off-the bone tender. So I planned to sear the chicken on my Weber kettle grill, then transfer it to pans and finish slow-smoking in my Smokey Mountain bullet smoker.

So Saturday around noon I’m getting everything ready. For the smoker I thought I’d use a combo of applewood and allspice berries for smoking. I was cutting a piece of applewood on my table saw into chunks when it kicked back violently on me and smashed my middle finger on my left hand. My finger was split open and bleeding profusely (it wasn’t directly a saw injury; my finger never contacted the saw, it was more of a blunt-force injury from the wood being voilently wrenched out of my hand).

So, trip to Emergency, diagnosis of a Tuft fracture of the distal phalanx, 3 stitches, a splint and a scrip for antibiotics.We had take-out Chinese for dinner Saturday night :disappointed:

Sunday, I just straight-up grilled the jerk chicken-- didn’t bother with the smoker. Turned out very flavorful, which you’d expect after marinating for almost 48 hours. As I said, not as spicy as I would’ve liked, so I’m going big with the habaneros when I can next time. My quest for making perfect jerk continues. Served with pigeon peas and rice, which turned out very tasty. Maybe I’ll post my recipe for peas and rice if anybody’s interested. But I think this post is long enough for now…