Lie To Me (fake fun facts)

You can make a rhinoceros fart by rubbing its ears with lemon zest.

The first version of the Model T was powered by orphans.

Pigeons have been taught to understand daylight savings time, but are still unable to distinguish AM from PM.

Montana is not technically part of the continental United States.

It required an act of Congress to make the 1970’s end.

The surface of Earth’s moon is littered with 17 tons of metal, three different national flags, and one dead rhesus monkey.

President Nixon had the world’s first airborne frozen yogurt machine installed aboard Air Force One. (President Carter later ordered it removed.)

Dance troupe Hot Gossip once staged a musical stage production of the Japanese cult classic Guinea Pig: Flower of Flesh and Blood. It folded after three showings, but actually gained quite favorable reviews.

In 2002, demoralized Taliban fighters in southern Afghanistan attempted to surrender to the Airwolf helicopter, which was flying overhead on it’s way to a USO show.

King Arthur I technically holds an outstanding commision as the Chief of the Defense Staff of the United Kingdom, which he is entitled to claim if and when he ever returns.

My guess:

You know what would be interesting? - we honestly shouldn’t do it - because it’s the antithesis of the board ethic and it’s just plain wrong anyway, but it would be interesting to release an email with a select dozen of the fun facts from this thread and see how long/if at all it took to propagate to another doper, without any deliberate attempt to make that happen.

The sexual preferences of the North American Electro-Moose were the inspiration for the political philosophy of Fascism.

Stonehenge was constructed by Mick Jagger, from his toenail clippings.

Dogs are manic-depressive on Shrove Tuesday.

Thor is coming! He bears cookies!

No one I know would forward it. My gang would just be annoyed.

My pick is:

Howard Hughes once offered Marilyn Monroe $2,000,000 for plaster casts of her feet.

Due to a nationwide casket shortage at the time of his death, Roy Rogers was actually buried in the hollowed-out carcass of his horse, Trigger.

Every March 22nd between 7:04 and 7:08 pm, Congress falls silent as the Speaker of the House of Representatives attempts to destroy North Dakota using only his mind. The origins of this tradition are unknown, but are believed to originate from an obscure clause in the state constitution hastily scribbled by a drunken Benjamin Harrison.

The Boston Red Sox actually won the 1986 World Series. The infamous “baseball going through Bill Bucker’s legs” incident seen by millions nationwide was actually the result of an experiment in animation of live-action events, the director of which was a rabid Mets fan. Major League Baseball has, for reasons unknown, decided to go along with the hoax.

The nation of Mauritania was known as the Federated Republic of Hugs and Sunshine until 1972, when its name was changed on the insistance of the United Nations.

What, no pie in Valhalla then? :stuck_out_tongue:

Silly Putty was invented as the first attempt at artifical skin grafts.

There really was a Captain Crunch, he sailed as a privateer under the flag of Outer Mongolia in the late 1730’s.

Fennel seed is the main flavoring of Dr. Pepper.

Plasticine Micturition is a medical condition that causes the urine of adult humans to come out like honey. This condition only affects males directly decended from Charlemagne.

“Monkey” is the funniest word in the English language, followed by “Weasel” and “Buford”

Postcards, Mayo, and Theunfounddoor – sorry, none of you is right. But thanks for playing!

The actual, TRUE FACT IS:

Scottish inventor John Logie Baird once constructed a television camera that used an actual human cadaver eye.

Read about it here. (Rest assured, there are no gruesome images.)

Not true. Although Velveeta and similar processed food substances are not too far from being plastic, this cannot be a real chemical formula, becuae helium does not form compounds with C, H, or Se. It barely forms a compound with fluorine, which in other contexts is ferocious enough to make water burn.

I don’t believe this one. Baird’s television was mechanically-scanned and the eye would not have held up under the strain. :slight_smile:

Sounds plausible.

Also sounds plausible.

I don’t believe this one. I’ve been on a plane that had six passenger seats, one pilot, and one co-pilot, whose other duties included flight attendant (he pushed a cooler of drinks down the aisle as the in-flight refreshment). Although, come to think of it, not all the passenger seats were taken.

If you’d said Catholics, I’d believe this one.

On preview, B of D: :eek:
I amsurprised that he even tried, given the heat involved with his setup.

Oh, you’re no fun anymore.

Besides, they spell CHHeSe!

:smack: Never even noticed that. I blame it on the extra hydrogen. :slight_smile:

You win the thread.

Abraham Lincoln wore his famous hat to cover up the fact that he had a horn.

Benito Mussolini actually died in 1901. The real name of the Italian dictator was Edward Higgensonson.

Helium is just hydrogen in disguise and on vacation.

Felix is Fritz on mescaline.

Robert Crumb created Ziggy.

Due to a legal loophole, you can get out of the draft in the US by announcing your undying love for Pat Boone.

The ‘ductless glands’ are more properly called the ‘duckless glands’, but a misprint in an early edition of Taber’s caused the current misapprehension.

The Z80 ISA was taken unmodified from notes left by the famous Chinese mathematician and philosopher Li Zhou.

The thousand-kim dash missed becoming an Olympic sport by only one vote.

Every college campus with more than two dozen faculty members on staff is required to have at least one building built backwards.

Dogs were invented in 1650 by Pepys, who desired an animal capable of listening to his diary entries without falling asleep or attempting to escape.

Decaffinated coffee is illegal in Japan.

Shhh! I believe this.

Ordo ab Chao

You’d think that would’ve been caught early on in the development cycle.

It was, but they had to monetize the process or one of its products somehow. :slight_smile:

In colonial times people were pilloried for minor offenses. The town constable was required to enter their offense in a log. Frequently occurring offenses were often abbreviated. Thus we have: For Unwed Carnal Knowledge.

Left handedness is dominate on the island of Madagascar.