Like to hear from both gays and straights on this one...

Cooper, actually, how you feel about reality usually does affect your perception of reality. To quote Phaedrus’ sig line, “For what a man had rather were true he more readily believes.” (Now I just wish he would read it!!:wink:

“Teaching without words and work without doing are understood by very few.”
-Tao Te Ching

Criminey! Gail, it’s a 10 year old. He might be gay. But I think he’s got bigger problems. This kid is a ten year old troll. He’s looking for confrontation. He needs professional help. It’s not an issue of homosexuality. I’d say the same thing if the kid was referring to a girlfriend. Even if he is sexually active, pointing it out to his teacher has “troubled” written all over it.

Mr. K’s Link of the Month:

Punch Bill Gates

Well,my former husband was gay. Yes.he’d had sex with women and myself,but.I read an excellent book called Vive Le Difference by some couple named Walsh. They explain about the hormone bath the fetus’ brain takes very early on(8 weeks). If it screws up somehow,they turn out to feel like a* in a *'s body. AFAIK,my husband was NOT apenguin! However,hanging out in gay bars for 3 years,all I saw were unfaithful,promiscuous male homosexuals. Also,he was molested by a male relative at about 8. He says that started him off.

Phaedrus: You claim monogamy is within the natural order of things, no? You never specified for who or what it was natural for. I did recognize some animals are monogamous, but that has an advantage for them.

In humans, monogamy is more culturally the norm than biologically (if it was, we would be driven to go for just one partner, and you wouldn’t be seeing prostitutes and concubines the world over).

If you will reread my post, i NEVER said monogamy harmed the gene pool, i only said it’s not as efficient for spreading genes around as polygamy is. Don’t put words into my posts that I never said.

The point is, there may be many animals that are monogamous but it is not THE natural order of things (for ALL things). Specify what you mean next time, mmmkay?

Here is an excerpt from an article I wrote on the word “fuck”. All rights reserved.

Apologies in advance for lowering the tone of this discussion (you guys being all philosophical and scientific and tolerant and all that) – but I don’t care so much about my kids’ sexual orientation as I do that they HAVE one.

My oldest just got married a year ago at age 32 – I know he had experimented with a homosexual relationship in his teens (the other kid’s mother’s raving still rings in my ears) and he had a years-long “crush” on a bisexual woman friend who (I thought) used him mercilessly.

All I wanted, as his mom, watching him grow up, watching his friends develop permanent relationships (gay and straight), was for him to find his person – didn’t matter which sex, as long as they were right for each other.

He wasn’t going to be happy alone, as some people can be. I think it could have gone either way. At times, it seemed like the first person who shared his interests and who really cared for him was gonna be the one. That’s what happened.

I don’t know if this outcome fits all of the theories posted here, or none of them.

Women Do go “into heat” during ovulation!
tis true

News to me. WOMEN! Do you feel more horny when you are ovulating, or not?

Matt: Yes.

Anyway… I’m not interested in having a kid of my own. But I definitely am looking forward to my brother having kids so I can be the Funny Gay Uncle ™.

“We love going to our uncles’ place! We can do all kinds of fun stuff that we can’t do at home. The other day they took us to the Gay Pride Parade, and yesterday we went to a Lammas ritual! It was lots of fun, and we love our uncles.”

Anyway… it goes without saying that I’d be there 100% for a gay niece or nephew, and my brother would doubtless be great with a gay kid too. Or I’d kick his butt. :slight_smile:

Oh. Well, it’s not like you have no sex drive at other times of the month, unlike other critters. Correct? (I’m gay, I don’t know these things! Help me out.)

Rilchiam, how much would it cost to pay a psychiatrist to get him to get you to change your sexuality?

Exactly, Matt. Plus, not all women are horny around the time they ovulate. My horniest time of the month occurs about two or three days before I start my period.

Yes, I know…thanks for sharing. You’re welcome.

I think the most important thing one could teach their children, gay, straight, bi, or whatever, is that they shouldn’t decide until they are sure of who they are, and maybe not even after. I, myself, am omniamorous, meaning I’m not going to label myself, and I’ll have sex with whomever I feel like it, thankyouverymuch. Attraction is the whim of your body, and I prefer that my mind mind its own damn business.

“You are not a what; you are a who. And you’ll never become anyone but yourself.”
Quote from An Excuse To Order Broccoli, my novel-in-progress

Matt: No. I feel a LOT hornier when I don’t have to worry about getting pregnant.

Well, I don’t have kids (thanks to a bit of wisdom and refusing to drink/take drugs at parties) but… My guess is based on my life so far, that for the first week or so of being informed of this, I would be a little paranoid of the kid. Sorry, but that’s how I am. After that I would gradually adjust to the new situation, and I would NEVER tell the kid I would stop loving them just because of that. I suppose this sounds cold, but that’s how I would do this. I don’t think I could handle the stress of it all at once.

– I don’t mind homosexuals as long as they stay out of my ass. -Forgotten person I spoke with on Yahoo!

I would support the child, no matter what sexual orientation. If he, she, or whichever combination thereof was gay, well, I’ve been there. But as to the contention that homosexuality can be detected early on, I offer myself as an example:

When I was little, I didn’t play with barbies or My Little Pony, or any of that other girl stuff, but I did like to have my hair done, and play dress-up, and wear “make-up”, just like most little girls. I also played with boys sometimes, but I was never particularly tomboyish. My sister, on the other hand, disdained “girly” stuff, and was very agressive in play. She put aside her barbie dolls in favor of those little green army guys, and liked to roam around the neighborhood fighting pretend wars with the boys down the street. When I got to middle school, I was a computer nerd, and I hung around with other computer nerds, who were mostly male. Everybody always thought I was going out with one of them. I don’t think anyone suspected that I was developing massive crushes on other girls. My sister became a thespian. She appeared in several Shakespeare productions, always in a male role, because she could play them better than most of the guys could. My father, after one such performance, aired his suspicions about her sexuality to my mother. He didn’t think I heard. It just goes to show that my sister always seemed more the type than me.

Now we’re grown up. My sister is straight. I’m not. Either there is no way to tell ahead of time which way someone will swing, or people just look for the wrong things. Even the little boy who thinks he’s a girl might turn out to be a “lesbian” himself someday. The only advice I can give to someone who thinks their child might be gay, but doesn’t know, is “wait and see”.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler