Likelihood of Bill Clinton being arrested for violating election laws

This nonstory is yet another reason I’ve come to despise the die hard supporters of Bernie Sanders. Every time Sanders loses a state, they’re all over social media with crap like this.

But even that wouldn’t apply, since Bill isn’t running for anything. He’s just an Ordinary Citizen™ out for a stroll. :smiley:

Any limits on who is permitted to be in the voting area*?

In our (non-US) jurisdiction, only voters with a ballot and poll workers are permitted in the voting area. Any candidates or their supporters in the area are subject to arrest.

• For these purposes, the voting area does not include the line of voters waiting to get their ballots. The voting area is basically the area from the check in tables, to encompass the voting booths and ballot box. Once you deposit your ballot you have to leave.

In my state, voting is done 100% by mail, so we don’t even have to deal with any of these meshugas. My ballot shows up in the mailbox 3 weeks or so before election day, I fill in the bubbles, I stick it in the envelope and sign my name on the outside (full-on cursive, as opposed to the scribble I do when I’m signing credit card receipts or doctors’ bills or the like), and when I’m on my way to work the next day I drive past the drop-box in front of the mom-and-pop stationers’ store near my house and drop it off.

It’s been 12 years now since I had to go to a polling place to cast a vote. That was in CA, and the polling place was in the auditorium of an elementary school. There were big yellow signs posted all around the vicinity stating “ELECTIONEERING PROHIBITED”. I had to wait in line for maybe five minutes, during which time nobody attempted to talk to me or shake my hand.

Only voters and poll workers can be in the voting area. In MA you check in and get your ballot and then check out and file the ballot. I don’t know the specifics of the electronic voting, I don’t have it in my town.

Bill Clinton didn’t even go into any of the buildings so was well away from any voting areas. In MA you are not allowed to solicit votes or display campaign materials within 150 feet of the entrance to a polling place.

Bill is being accused of violating the 150ft ordnance. He was at times within 150ft of an entrance but it is questionable as to weather he was soliciting votes or displaying materials.

You mention it at every opportunity, too.

The idea that campaigning at a polling site would be a felony is absurd. Politicians are so moronic.

Did you mean to say “should” there, instead of “would”? Because the criminal status of that act is a plain fact.

I accept your grammar correction.

Our new favorite: Crapshots Ep306 - The Pedometer - YouTube

who the fuck cares. :mad::rolleyes::dubious:

Quite a few of us around these parts pardner. And many of us are happy to have our little errors corrected so we know better in the future.

It isn’t like it was distracting from any otherwise important discussion; that correction was of more note, interest, and substance, than was the silly allegation referenced in the op.

That it’s a felony? The state law cited above listing maximum fine as $20 seems to not be a felony to me … but IANAL.

The OP flat out said it was a felony, with no cite. boytyperanma, in post #18, actually cited the appropriate section of state law. He did get one thing wrong though. Assuming that Clinton did actually break that law in four locations, he owes the state $80, not 20.

Whoohoo! Massachusetts state employees eat tonight!

Everyone except the illiterati.

I said $20 for the one location they actually asked him to step back to 150 ft. I haven’t seen any information claiming he violated the no soliciting zone at the others. 20 bucks would be a stiff penalty. 80 bucks may well bankrupt him.

I’m still waiting for evidence of a felony or even a federal violation of election law. Absent that I have no idea why the petition would be sent to the Attorney General. The only applicable violation for his actions would be a MA law. MA is much more restictive in it’s 150 foot zoning. Other states he could have stood at the doorway with a Hillary sign asking people to vote for her.

It’s a Massachusetts misdemeanor.

“Any crime that may be punished by death or time in the state prison is defined as a felony. All other crimes in this state are misdemeanors.”

No jail time - only a $20 fine - no felony.

I’m a patient man, but the Sanders folks are, indeed, getting a little worked up.

“This is the break Bob Dole was looking for.” - Bob Dole. :wink:

I haven’t looked into the specifics of Clinton’s situation, and so won’t discuss it.

But as for everyone else, they often are violating the law and getting away with it, either through luck or law enforcement wisely looking the other way. Consider the three-felonies-a-day theory (that the average person commits three felonies a day, more or less):

This country has too many criminal laws, federal, state, county, and municipal. It is all to easy to violate an election law by making an off-hand partisan remark in a polling place. Millions of Americans have probably done it at some point in their life. Should they all be arrested? I hope not.

Considering that is the subject of this thread, you should have. Otherwise, everything that follows is just hijacking the thread.

Rubbish. More hijacking the thread.

More off-track nonsense.