Limbaugh..my hunch was right.

I went in Internationalist books a couple of times but it was generally too political for my tastes. I was in the Computer Science department at UNC and I used to hang out in Cafe Trio, but I don’t think that opened until fall of '94.

I’ll throw out a few names you might know:

Mur Lafferty
Cynthia Pettit (aka Kiki)
Jim Van Verth
Bill Mark
Kristin Bull

Really? A bookstore named “Internationalist” was political? I’m too stunned for words. :slight_smile:

Depends. How many thousands of lives did it cost?

Heh. YOu don’t know the half of it.

If you can deal with leftist radicals, it was a pretty cool place. Its original owner, Bob Shelton, was a great guy, who helped organize local protests against the original Gulf War. The night after the ground war began, Bob was shot dead in his store, the contents of the cash register stolen. You can imagine the shockwaves this sent through the local antiwar community. THe crime was never solved: I still don’t know whether to believe that it was a simple robbery/murder or a politically-motivated killing.

A little while later, the bookstore reopened as a volunteer-run collective, and you can visit its website here. My high-school girlfriend and I volunteered there in 91 and 92.

Pochacco, I don’t recognize any of those names–sorry!

Daniel

I heard this live, too, and I can testify that he did include the next sentences. He played the quote several times in two different segments and had a larger discussion than just the one with the caller which is transcribed.
I really don’t understand Rush’s problem with Clinton’s speech and I agree with the OP that it is a stupid and petty objection.

I interpreted Clinton’s remark not to suggest that he was on an equal moral ground with Rosa Parks, but to make a bit of admiring levity.

When he said he strongly agreed with Rosa Parks and he and his friends went to sit in the back, it is pretty clear to me that he is not saying he did this to make a moral stance but because kids like to sit in the back of the bus

He was making a joke. A light joke. A self-deprecating joke, and it got a laugh. Everybody there understood it. Then he makes the moral point about what Rosa parks’ action actually taught them.

It was nice. It was well done. It was well received. Clinton is a good speaker. He is a politician. He delivered a good and touching speech honoring Rosa. That was his job.

I saw nothing in it to ridicule.

It’ll all be sorted out when the Sinclair broadcasting group airs its hard-hitting documentary uncovering the* real* story behind the story.

Does anyone honestly believe Clinton’s story for two seconds? I’d love for someone to ask him who his two ‘friends’ on the bus were so we could verify this.

Why oh why do I have the feeling he wouldn’t be able to “recall” who they were? He remembers the day, mind you. He remembers being inspired by Rosa Parks’ actions, of course. He remembers it was two friends, naturally. But their names? “Oh, I don’t know…h’yuck, h’yuck…it was so long ago…shucks, I can’t recall…”

Does anybody really give a damn, when there are far more important things to wory about?

I pity you, although that pity is mixed with contempt and befuddlement.

Daniel

And the one-trick pony drops another steaming pile.

I never said it was “important.” I’m just pointing out that the man is a pathological liar and a shameless panderer. I think it’s actually funny, to be honest. But he really could’ve sold the story better, I think. He should’ve said after hearing about Rosa Parks, he sat with his friends at the front of the bus, feeling troubled. Then he made up his mind. It was an epiphany. He felt inspired. He alone stood up on the crowded bus and said, “I’m sitting in the back with the real people.” He could’ve recounted how his friends protested and grabbed at his sleeves, desperately trying to stop him, but it didn’t matter. He summoned every ounce of courage he had in his nine-year-old body and began to walk to the back. The other riders looked on in varying degrees of amazement and disgust. He walked on until he reached the back of the bus. A little black girl was sitting all by herself, and Clinton said to her, “Excuse me, but if you don’t mind I would be honored if I could sit down next to you.” The little girl was shocked but still managed to move her schoolbooks from the seat. Clinton sat down. The bus rode on in silence for about a mile before, quietly, a single passenger began to clap. He was joined by another. And another. Finally, the entire bus broke into thunderous applause. He sat there in silence, feeling a single tear well up in his eye. He knew, somehow, that he’d crossed some line. And that things would never be the same again.

That’s what I would’ve said…

One of the people on the bus would later say:

"I was sitting there minding my own business when the little boy went past. His little jaw was set firmly…and an intelligence and compassion beyond his years gleamed from his eyes. He seemed to almost glow with empathy. He strode on past me to the back of the bus. As he sat down and stared straight ahead, his eyes met mine. In that moment, I knew I was unworthy of him if I stayed where I was. On trembling legs I rose, heading to the back of the bus with him. I could feel the hateful stares of the unenlightened racist passengers on my back as I made my way toward my destiny. Finally I reached him. He laid his pudgy childlike hand on mine and whispered “Together, we can change the world.”

C’mon now. If he was riding a school bus in 1955, there would have been no black folks on the bus, as he went to a segregated school. Someone suggested that maybe it was a municipal bus that he rode, but I can find no evidence that such existed when he lived in Hope or Hot Springs, AR.

Not a “proof” or anything, but definitely fishy.

I think he’s making shit up to aggrandize himself. If I’m wrong, so be it, but I’d like to take something other than BC’s word for it.

He didn’t say he was riding a school bus numbnuts. In the other statement he specifically said he rode the city bus to school.

Sure. This guy admits he’s only met Rush “a few times” and had two conversations with him over as many decades but he still feels he’s such an expert that he knows what Rush would “sell out” for, and what he does and doesn’t “believe?” Please.

It sounds like Olbermann (whoever he is) is a wee bit jealous of Limbaugh, a “quiet” and “colorless” man who can draw far more listeners/readers than he can dream of.

Evidence that there even IS a city bus in Hope?

I like YOUR version way better.

I can’t supply the cite to a magaziene article I read in a Doctor’s office several years ago where Limbaugh admitted the show was a gag. I thought he was funny as hell until I realized that some folks took him seriously. Then it was scary.

Thank you. It really happened, by the way. Honest. I wouldn’t lie to you.

Note: I’ve head the same analysis from places other than Olberman. Can’t say who, as it was repeated over a few years, and from other people… but they’re no more than two or three degrees of seperation from Limbaugh.