Limbaugh..my hunch was right.

It’s been a few years, but I believe he said that he came up with it and sent it to Garry Trudeau, who ended up using it. I could be misremembering his claim, of course. I can’t, obviously, vouch for the ulitmate veracity of his story, but it would be a bit like suggesting that elucidator would lie about something like that. Only Silas Sparkhammer was always more unswervingly polite.

My own little theory on Rash Limpballs is that the right-wing stuff is just an act, that he’s actually a closet liberal Democrat and he has a picture of Teddy Kennedy on his nightstand. At least I hope it’s true.

For Og’s sake, Hentor, calm down! I was asking for clarification on what I heard someone say about Clinton’s speech. I wasn’t claiming it was right or wrong, I just wanted someone to provide further info.

Jeez…you’re going to hurt yourself with those knee jerks.

So help me out here…does that mean the young Clinton would have been riding segregated or desegrated buses at that time?

segregated

I’m quite, calm, but I didn’t really mean to raise any hackles. My point was more that it seems like a trivial issue to try to catch someone out on. But to each his or her own.

If he was talking about a school bus, it likely would have been all-white, and it wouldn’t have mattered where he sat.

If it was a municipal bus, he might well have made the gesture he claims to have made. Or not. I guess one’s take on this depends on how one feels about politicians’ tendencies on the matter of truth and self-serving promotion, or on Clinton’s specific proclivities based on past history.

My take is: who cares by this point? About Clinton’s noble childhood, or anything Rush might have to say.

cough

As I said, Arkansas was most likely not ahead of the curve on matters of desegregation. I can’t find a specific date online as to when buses in Arkansas were desegregated, but SCOTUS didn’t issue its ruling on bus desegregation until 1956. I think it is safe to assume that buses in Arkansas were segregated in 1955 and that if Clinton rode buses in Arkansas in 1955 they were segregated buses.

Gotcha…thanks for clearing that up!

From the History of Jim Crow online:

Here’s a quote I googled up, apparently from another speech Clinton gave at some point.

http://clinton3.nara.gov/Initiatives/OneAmerica/19971009-13216.html

So apparently, he did ride a municipal bus that had black and white people on it. However, if you’ll notice, he says that he and his friends rode at the back of the bus because they “liked” it. But in the quote in question, he says that they rode in the front of the bus until Rosa Parks did her thing.

So which is it, Bill? Huh? Front or back? Because you liked it or because you “strongly approved” of Rosa Parks?

I could overlook the whole blow job thing, but this baldfaced deception…

This is the best cite I can find. I remember Senator Dale Bumpers speaking about desegregating the schools in his tiny Arkansas town prior to 1956. I imagine that 1954 would have been one of the earliest. We were kicked out of the “Cotton States League” for having to Black pro baseball players in 1953. Brown V. Board of Education was 1954.

Close enough, it’s a mirror.

Of course Clinton rode in the back of the bus. Everyone knows that’s where you score the good stuff.

I lived in Durham for almost all of 1993, but moved back to Chapel Hill in December 1993, living there until summer 1994. If you stoped by Perversions–er, Provisions, the foofy little bakery at University Mall, you may have seen me there; or at Internationalist Books; or geeking out with the local gamers/pagans/BBS crowds.

Daniel

Ivy, it’s your constant looking for something hinky in any statement made by Clinton that you sould worry about. You know, that whole don’t point out the mote in your neighbors eye when you have a plank in yours, sort of thing.

This is something the former President said at a funeral. Maybe we could go listen to the story and let it go.

Even if he’s making shit up?

Look. If you know from experience that beyond a doubt he’s making shit up, then saying something about it is appropriate. Otherwise, if what he’s saying is only important from a symbolic perspective, just LET IT GO. Trying to find falsehood in every one of his public utterances, digging for proof that maybe, possibly, it’s conceivable that something he said is not true in every jot and tittle–that’s just pathetic.

Daniel

Mission Accomplished. :wink:

Clinton is full of more shit than a septic tank and was, as usual, in full pander mode.