Linguistic question: What is the white parallel to an "Oreo Cookie"?

“Clinton”.

Heh, just kidding. On a realted note, I’ve heard the terms “banana” and “apple” used as the equivalent of Oreo, for other racial groups.

Bryan. Dammit. Beat me to it.

Well I tried to think of something, and other than Black Eye Pea and Dirty Rice, I got nothing. I can’t think of anything better than “Milano” or “White Chocolate.” I like them both very well, although “Milano” has the inside track thanks to this scene from “SCRUBS.”

JD (offering a snack) Would you like a Mulatto, Turk?

Turk: That’s MILANO!

JD: Really? I always thought “Mulatto” was a kinda racist name for a cookie.

Indeed.

Why must there always be a “parallel,” or “opposite”?

Yes, in mathematics, if you have a 7, you have a -7.

In geography, if you have a north, you can have a south.

If you have a right arm, you probably have a left arm.

But I think some things have no real pressing need to be symmetrical, by nature. In fact, many things in sociology, history and politics are like that.

Could it be that there is no such term (parallel to the term “oreo”), nor do we need such a term, because of the circumstances?

In Latin America, the term ‘coconut’ is used for a person who is brown on the outside and white on the inside.

Well, I have heard the term “Wapanese” to describe white people who watch to much anime and think they are Japanese.

I think I’m going to have to go along with the fact that their really is no suitable linguistic term here, and “reverse Oreo cookie” is about the best their is. “Wigga” doesn’t work. The way I’ve always heard that term is:

a) Used by whites to apply to a white person who pretty much always has been around black people, acts very much like a stereotypical black person. Essentially the same as “white trash”, and used by white racists who look down on blacks; or:

b) Used by blacks to describe a white person who is seen as a poser. As someone posted “They aren’t really Black, in or out.” But blacks don’t consider a wigga to be a reverse Oreo cookie in that because they aren’t really black inside, its just an act and they are posers. A black person would figure a wigga when around other white folks would quit the posing, and act white in that environment. IOW a wigga is just another honky who acts black when they think it suits their own interests at the moment.

Vanilla Ice?

Christina Aguilera?

:confused:

Christina Aguilera is neither white nor black. She’s hispanic.

She is too. She’s half Nigerian, a quarter Swedish, and one eighth Austrailian and one eighth Vietnamese.

How about a Kip, a la Napolean Dynamite?

Maybe Kipper would work better, as its two syllables seem to roll off the tongue better, and it’s also a food!

There’s a slightly less nasty word for a white person who prefers the company of blacks. Weebee derives from imitating black speech patterns. Folks who avoid saying “nigger” might be leery of “wigga.”

I thought everyone knew that Steve Martin was “born a poor black child”.

The opposite of an Oreo is an Uh-Oh!

The formal name is Golden Oreo Chocolate Cream, which leads to the

logical name: GOCC

http://nabisco.com/oreo/memories/

Egg is the term used for white people who want to be asian. Not so much in the anime, fanboy sense, but the people who go deep native and live in the country for 30 years and can speak the language absolutely fluently and know more about chinese history and social customs that 90% of chinese.

They always seemed a bit… odd… to me. They all seemed to have been cloned from this 1 factory somewhere.

I’ve definitely heard the term Weebee used by whites to describe such white persons. Interestingly, there doesn’t seem to be an identical parallel used by the blacks. Being an “Oreo cookie” isn’t just about language patterns or cultural preferences. It implies a collaborationist attitude actually favoring whites over blacks. My guess is that it is because blacks realize that because they are a minority, there is a need to learn to at least fit in with white folks while in the company of whites. Speaking just ebonics isn’t the way to get ahead in a white dominated, corporate world.

How about theopposite? I.e., is there a word for someone like me – U.S. born white boy who has lived in Latin America and has sometimes tried to pretend to be latino?

Good n Plenty?

Wook, was that in response to my query?

If so, remind me – are good-n-plenties white on the outside and brown on the inside?

Gracias… er, thanks.